Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: When will the next general election be ?

Voters
92. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Before November 2010

8 8.70%
  • November 2010 - January 2011

22 23.91%
  • February 2011 - May 2011

25 27.17%
  • June 2011 - August 2011

7 7.61%
  • September 2011 - December 2011

11 11.96%
  • January 2012 - April 2012

4 4.35%
  • May-June 2012

13 14.13%
  • After June 2012

2 2.17%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Garret speculates Oct 2011 for GE!What say ye?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Garret speculates Oct 2011 for GE!What say ye?

Finding alternative to spending cuts may prove a taxing issue - The Irish Times - Sat, Jul 17, 2010

Garret Fitzgerald speculates in today's Times for a GE in Nov 2011,presuming the gov lasts that long.
    Paddy Power gives odds of 11/10 for 2010...7/4 for 2011....11/4 2012!

So what say the sages on P.ie??
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say GE later this year, and if not, by May or June next year 2011.There is only so long he can hold off on bye elections ,and things are getting worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would have thought 12 months at the very latest....!

But you never do know!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member seabhac siulach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Finding alternative to spending cuts may prove a taxing issue - The Irish Times - Sat, Jul 17, 2010

Garret Fitzgerald speculates in today's Times for a GE in Nov 2011,presuming the gov lasts that long.
    Paddy Power gives odds of 11/10 for 2010...7/4 for 2011....11/4 2012!

So what say the sages on P.ie??
    The unusually long 12 week Dail break (govt. popularity tends to rise when the Dail is closed!) and the government's persistent unwillingness to properly discuss property/water taxes, etc., even when the budget is fast approaching, would indicate to me that the government (or at least Fianna Fail) are looking at a 'surprise' autumn election (early October?).

Being assured of defeat, they could lessen the damage by going before they have to implement any savage budget cuts/tax increases in December. By losing only say 10-15 seats, and allowing the present opposition to implement the savage budget instead, this would allow Fianna Fail the possibility of returning to power after a single Dail term out of office. This, for Fianna Fail, would represent the least worst option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government could not survive the loss of the bye elections

- its hard to see how they could stave off holding them past late this year

- October or November IMO

- & the Budget due in December

Cowen is caught between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You allmost wrote down my thoughts seabhac, I smell a rat and its going to let FG/Lab put the knife in with the next budget and then its going to wrap its self tighly up in a green flag on the oposite benchs and tango back into government to make sure their is no dirty blue shirt/commie/provo on the reveiwing stand for 2016.

Fianna failure are an insidous cancer in our society, if they bring in the next budget as hard as it needs to be they are done and dusted for a generation.

But if they can get FG/Lab to do the dirty work then they are odds on for 2016 and a happy couple of decades more mismanagement of the country for the gain of the elite few.
    Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another old codger riding the state along with hundreds of others, who cares what he thinks.The last decades man, Varadkar had it right.

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhac siulach View Post
    The unusually long 12 week Dail break (govt. popularity tends to rise when the Dail is closed!) and the government's persistent unwillingness to properly discuss property/water taxes, etc., even when the budget is fast approaching, would indicate to me that the government (or at least Fianna Fail) are looking at a 'surprise' autumn election (early October?).

Being assured of defeat, they could lessen the damage by going before they have to implement any savage budget cuts/tax increases in December. By losing only say 10-15 seats, and allowing the present opposition to implement the savage budget instead, this would allow Fianna Fail the possibility of returning to power after a single Dail term out of office. This, for Fianna Fail, would represent the least worst option.
    I would be very surprised if there was an election before it is absolutely necessary. I don't think people have yet grasped the scale of losses facing FF. Probably none of the FFers in the present cabinet will ever be a minister again.
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

Politics.ie Member seabhac siulach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeGaulle 2.0 View Post
    I would be very surprised if there was an election before it is absolutely necessary. I don't think people have yet grasped the scale of losses facing FF. Probably none of the FFers in the present cabinet will ever be a minister again.
    I would imagine it will depend on the first Irish Times opinion poll after the summer break. If it shows Fianna Fail with anything over say 25% then they will surely go for it. It is unlikely to get better for them if they hold on for another year (no matter how much Fine Gael might prefer them to).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DeGaulle 2.0 View Post
    Neither will there be a green party of note!

I can see however the budget this year being a problem.WE will now NOT apparently have either water rates or a property tax!.We can not touch the oldies!We cannot touch infrastructural developement! Where on earth are we gonna find 3 billion?

Somebodies not going to be happy!
    The independants are sure to get anxty..if they are not already!
    The back benchers are getting addled!

So it could come!...isn't politics great!

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast