Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Trapped in Nigeria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Help! Trapped in Nigeria

Got an email from someone I know in London as follows:

"Hello There
    I'm sorry for this odd request because it might get to you too urgent but it's because of the situation of things right now,I'm stuck in Nigeria with family right now, we came down here on family vacation, we were robbed,worse of it is that bags, cash and cards and our cell phone were stolen at GUN POINT,and it's hard to get hold of a phone here in London it's such a crazy experience for us, we need help flying back home, the authorities are not being 100% supportive but the good thing is we still have our passport but don't have enough money to get our flight ticket back home, please i need you to loan us some money, will refund you as soon as we are back home,i promise."

Hate to say this but leaving aside the fact that the English was well below what I would expect from this person the word Nigeria instantly aroused my suspicions. I got an email from the real person to say his account (yahoo) was hacked.

Nigeria is a great country but just wondering whether it should take measures to clean up the current "scam artist" image of its citizens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After oil spam is their largest export

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I couldn't sleep last night after getting email from the niece of a murdered millionaire who promised me 10% of her uncle's legacy if I'd just send on €2,500 to get her out of there. I sent her on a credit union loan application form.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you cannot trust a Nigerian, who can you trust?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magror14 View Post

Nigeria is a great country .
    Please explain to me how Nigeria is a "great country"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    if you cannot trust a Nigerian, who can you trust?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you tried scambaiting? Reversing scams and generally wasting the time of these criminals (and they ARE all criminals). 419baiter.com gives good tips and there are some very funny stories there.
    Finally! A party for Ireland that is actually different to 'the others'. Check out the IPRI.
    The Independence Party Of Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IPRIreland View Post
    Have you tried scambaiting? Reversing scams and generally wasting the time of these criminals (and they ARE all criminals). 419baiter.com gives good tips and there are some very funny stories there.
    LOL. Thanks for the site. Very entertaining.

I got an email a couple of months back from a student in the US I occasionally exchange work emails with telling me she was in London on a work study programme and had had all her valuables stolen at the hostel she was staying at and could I help her out by wiring some money to her at a particular Western Union office. It was sufficiently convincing that I asked around before I decided for sure it was a scam. I half thought of contacting the cops in London to set up a sting operation since whoever it was would have had to turn up to collect the money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpitts View Post
    LOL. Thanks for the site. Very entertaining.

I got an email a couple of months back from a student in the US I occasionally exchange work emails with telling me she was in London on a work study programme and had had all her valuables stolen at the hostel she was staying at and could I help her out by wiring some money to her at a particular Western Union office. It was sufficiently convincing that I asked around before I decided for sure it was a scam. I half thought of contacting the cops in London to set up a sting operation since whoever it was would have had to turn up to collect the money.
    Hay I am slow, I got an email from a friend who was 'stuck' in London but I just thought I am not a close enough friend to ask money from..Dont see her for about a year so didnt get a chance tomention it!!!
    Silly me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seth lord View Post
    Please explain to me how Nigeria is a "great country"
    Its a big country with diverse climates, huge natural resources a highly enterprising if completely misguided population. With the right approach the country could have everything it needs and more. We would want to go and live there.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast