Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Africans Don't Rate Bob Geldof so why should we ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Africans Don't Rate Bob Geldof so why should we ?

Very critical article in the telegraph on Live Aid

It hurts to say this, but Live Aid should not be celebrated. It was a failure. Geldof's approach exemplified the worst about Western ideas of "helping Africa": top-down handouts which ignore, or worsen, the continent's problems.

The real cause of the 1984 Ethiopian famine, and so many other African tragedies, was not cruel nature, but bad government: the country was torn by civil war. That is what stopped food getting through. There is substantial evidence that charitable intervention, Geldof's included, may have prolonged and deepened the conflict, and therefore the catastrophe.

Africans don't rate Bob Geldof, so why should we? - Telegraph

I have a lot more respect for geldof than bono, but I agree with this - you cannot really argue that the aid which has resulted in the doubling of the population of a starving country was well thought out. Pumping endless cash into corrupt or inept regimes is pretty pointless imo.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didnt know we did.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SIr Bob is a tit, I don't think that surprises anay one.

I'd have to agree. It's almost condescending to Africans the way the likes of Geldof and Bono carry on, and all to make themselves look good.

I remember reading that though Live Aid raised $200 million, this was equivelant to what some African countries were paying back in interest alone on their international debts.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

I know it's a generalisation, but many Africans i have known are very argumentative people and don't rate anything at all! Which might explain some of the massive tribal issues you have in many African countries. They come across like people up in the Jaffa Statelette actually only not as in your face and without the annoying accents and with a hell of a lot more reasons to be angry!
    There are some people alive today who would not be without live aid for sure.
    OK it's not enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Geldof can be a complete pain but I always thought of him as sincere, could be wrong.

Bono though, I have always seen as a relentless self-publicist, a complete hypocrite & a typical example of short arse syndrome.

It is clear though that pumping endless cash into africa is probably just prolonging the issues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Passionateheart View Post
    I know it's a generalisation, but many Africans i have known are very argumentative people and don't rate anything at all! Which might explain some of the massive tribal issues you have in many African countries. They come across like people up in the Jaffa Statelette actually only not as in your face and without the annoying accents and with a hell of a lot more reasons to be angry!
    There are some people alive today who would not be without live aid for sure.
    OK it's not enough!
    Many of those tribal issue come from the ruler-edge straight lines that divide countries (or rather colonies) that went straight through ancient triabl divides. Other issues stem from colonial favouritism likein Rwanda, where the Belgians considered the Tutsis to be superior to the Hutu and so left them in power when they left after years of discrimination agaist the Hutus. This led the Hutus to seek revenge with well known consequences and ironicaly with the help of the French.

Then of course there is plain old tribalism, which still exists, though in slightly different forms, in Ireland.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post
    Geldof can be a complete pain but I always thought of him as sincere, could be wrong.

Bono though, I have always seen as a relentless self-publicist, a complete hypocrite & a typical example of short arse syndrome.

It is clear though that pumping endless cash into africa is probably just prolonging the issues.
    It depends where they pump it. Were it used to teach people to start there own businesses, increase their crop production etc it could be good, but instead it goes to pay off whatever the African equivelant of Fianna Fail are for natural resources or arms contracts.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    It depends where they pump it. Were it used to teach people to start there own businesses, increase their crop production etc it could be good, but instead it goes to pay off whatever the African equivelant of Fianna Fail are for natural resources or arms contracts.
    Guy wrote this comment on the telegraph page:

The only way to help Africa would be to ban all mineral exports and then force companies to set up in Africa exporting finished goods, made by Africans. Of course the elephant in the room is African culture is corrupt to the core and no ban would work, only people from certain tribes or families would gain work under this scheme - it would end in tribal apartheid.

The fact is western aid has caused a population explosion in Sub-Saharan Africa, this population is unsustainable by African methods, technology and culture. The cruel but kind thing to do would be to pull all aid to Africa and let the population stabilise at a sustainable (by Africans) level. Carrying on as we are means millions and millions of Africans will continue to pour into the west yearly - do we just carry on until the whole world collapses under the strain of the uninhibited third world?
    Africans don't rate Bob Geldof, so why should we? - Telegraph

This is the crux of it for me, we cannot simply keep supporting the crazy population explosion in africa.

Ethiopia doubled its population to 70m in 25 years, and is on course to double up again in 30 years or so. These people can never be supported by ethiopias natural resources, but equally, europe will not be able to take that many either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to pay money every week to the "black babies". I didnt get a knighthood

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont rate him and dont know anyone who does the guys a ********************er

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast