Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 146

Thread: Horrific Cuts Comming To Social Welfare Benefits For 3 Day Week Workers.

  1. #1

    Default Horrific Cuts Comming To Social Welfare Benefits For 3 Day Week Workers.

    It has been reported on Kiberd's Newstalk programme today that Batty O'Keefe has been making overtures to O'Cuiv on this one. Probably the excuse will be used that it's a disincentive to work! 65,000 people are currently in this position, including me, so our 'Government' is obviously lusting after the potential savings at the expense of workers, who have contributed both to the welfare system and the general economy and have fallen on hard times. Well sure, any 'Government' which cut the blind person's pension is capable of anything! This is another example of predominantly working class people, not an underclass rubbish now, being ridden red raw yet again! How can this be headed off at the pass? and when will these horrific attacks be stopped? Kiberd was talking to the lovely Bobby Kerr on this, who said it's an area which needs to be looked at, as it's to generous along with the minimum wage of course!!
    In the Public v Private debate, we have had , the sanest comment of all to my ear was made by a non prominent public service trade union official, who said - The real ? is why have private sector workers been paid so badly here?
    Re my own situation I'm 30 Euros per week down on the 3 day week, so when I go back on 5 days, I will earn 15 euros per day effectively for those extra days. This is a reflection on my crap employers not on the social welfare system! All in all factoring in the benefits I would get on the full dole V a 5 day week, I would be 80 Euros better off at a max slaving!

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passionateheart View Post
    the sanest comment of all to my ear was made by a non prominent public service trade union official, who said - The real ? is why have private sector workers been paid so badly here?
    Of course a public sector union rep will say this. He'd love to see private sector pay increase so that he could justify not cutting public sector pay, or even demanding increases. Don't think for a minute that he actually cares about private sector workers

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passionateheart View Post
    It has been reported on Kiberd's Newstalk programme today that Batty O'Keefe has been making overtures to O'Cuiv on this one. Probably the excuse will be used that it's a disincentive to work! 65,000 people are currently in this position, including me, so our 'Government' is obviously lusting after the potential savings at the expense of workers, who have contributed both to the welfare system and the general economy and have fallen on hard times. Well sure, any 'Government' which cut the blind person's pension is capable of anything! This is another example of predominantly working class people, not an underclass rubbish now, being ridden red raw yet again! How can this be headed off at the pass? and when will these horrific attacks be stopped? Kiberd was talking to the lovely Bobby Kerr on this, who said it's an area which needs to be looked at, as it's to generous along with the minimum wage of course!!
    In the Public v Private debate, we have had , the sanest comment of all to my ear was made by a non prominent public service trade union official, who said - The real ? is why have private sector workers been paid so badly here?
    Re my own situation I'm 30 Euros per week down on the 3 day week, so when I go back on 5 days, I will earn 15 euros per day effectively for those extra days. This is a reflection on my crap employers not on the social welfare system! All in all factoring in the benefits I would get on the full dole V a 5 day week, I would be 80 Euros better off at a max slaving!
    you realise something is wrong when you'd only be 30 euro better off for working another 2 days?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    you realise something is wrong when you'd only be 30 euro better off for working another 2 days?
    Of course he does - he said that he is being paid crap wages.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member bob3344's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    Of course he does - he said that he is being paid crap wages.
    Second highest min wage in Europe. The problem is that the dole is too high, should either be cut across the board or else cut after a defined period of time to make working worthwhile.

  6. #6
    Ex Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Around the Corner everyone has turned
    Posts
    3,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post
    Second highest min wage in Europe. The problem is that the dole is too high, should either be cut across the board or else cut after a defined period of time to make working worthwhile.

    And yet Ireland has the 2nd highest food and drink prices in Europe.

    Our Electricity prices are some of the highest also.

    The reason our dole is high is simply down to the cost of living which is increasing.

    What would you have people on the dole live on?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Olympic Stadium
    Posts
    58,469
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    3 day week. 4 day weekend. Sounds good to me

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    40,724
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    3 day week. 4 day weekend. Sounds good to me
    Sounds like a politican's "working" week.

    Regards...jmcc

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    26,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So the people in the private sector think the solution is to drag wages down to their level,

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Fides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turdsl View Post
    So the people in the private sector think the solution is to drag wages down to their level,
    Yes we do. As already pointed out our minimum wage is 2nd highest in Europe so our low paid workers are paid better than low paid workers in all of Europe except Luxembourg. The mimimum wage sets the benchmark for everybody else and yes comparatively the Irish private sector worker is paid better than EU counterparts. The Public sector is even better paid.

    The 3 day week issue has been an anomoly for a long time now where employees are basically better off working 3 days than 5 days. And yes that has been exploited by some employers. Something does need to be done about it.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •