Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuts in old age pensions coming down the line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cuts in old age pensions coming down the line

I notice in the media recently that cuts in old age pensions are being mooted.

As someone who is approaching the old age pension qualifying age, and as someone who has never drawn the dole,and paid my own and my families way all my life, I now wish to inform the powers that be, that if they cut my old age pension without swinging cuts in public service pensions and a major clearing out of all the quangos in this country then I will not be responsible for my actions.
    If you really want the balloon to go up just try it.
    Just you try it!
    I mean can read a book just as well in Mountjoy as at home.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If everything else is being cut, why should the old aged pension be immune?

Pensioners are less likely to have dependent children, less likely to have a mortgage and more likely to have other savings. In addition, many are eligible for free medical care, benefit from reduced prices for recreational activities and all are entitled to free transport within the State. In a climate of falling prices, why is it unreasonable to suggest that pensions, as well as all other groups in society, also take a hit?

Personally I find it offensive that such a large group of society thinks that they should be immune.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    If everything else is being cut, why should the old aged pension be immune?

Pensioners are less likely to have dependent children, less likely to have a mortgage and more likely to have other savings. In addition, many are eligible for free medical care, benefit from reduced prices for recreational activities and all are entitled to free transport within the State. In a climate of falling prices, why is it unreasonable to suggest that pensions, as well as all other groups in society, also take a hit?

Personally I find it offensive that such a large group of society thinks that they should be immune.
    I qualified my opposition. Why don't you address those two points?

Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post

As someone who is approaching the old age pension qualifying age, and as someone who has never drawn the dole,and paid my own and my families way all my life, I now wish to inform the powers that be, that if they cut my old age pension without swinging cuts in public service pensions and a major clearing out of all the quangos in this country then I will not be responsible for my actions.

ROTFL! Are you going to use that one in court? "But, m'lud, I informed the powers that be on politics.ie under my handle "cry freedom"!!

You are a prize muppet, aren't you?

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In all fairness pensions have to be cut.

Its widely excepted that pensioners have less outgoings than families ,and yet families have seen incomes fall.

Why should a person who has worked all their lives and neverdrawn dole now find themselves having to claim the dole and still support their family, pay their debts and yet face dole cuts?, when pensioners have little overheads but continue to receive pensions with no cuts?

I agree the public service should have their pensions hit, But then I dont think Anglos should be bailed out, Cowen paid what he gets, etc. The List of what should happen and what shouldnt is endless, but unless the average Irish person starts to join forces against the government they will continue to do as they please.

Politics.ie Member ballot stuffer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just you try it!
    Your generation caused this mess and you expect the younger generation to pay for it.
    The net benefactors of this countries crisis are your age group. For the most part it is the younger generation up to their necks in property debt. The bailouts for the bondholders of the banks, the shareholders are in alot of ways bailouts for your pension funds.
    Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I qualified my opposition. Why don't you address those two points?
    I would fully support public sector pension reform and a review (by which I mean an actual review, rather than a dust gathering one) of quangos. I consider it inequitable that changes to pension arrangements for civil servants, to which they do not pay into a pension fund so have a questionable basis on which to ground a belief of legitimate expectation, are only applicable to those entering the sector at a certain date in the future. It implies a class division between people doing the same job depending on the date in which they were hired - or more specifically, their age - rather than their grade.

On the quangos issue, absolutely, clear them out where they are not needed. Of course one does have to bear in mind that clearing out quangos does have the result of increased unemployment and also the fact that some quangos are necessary. But beyond that, yes, I agree with you.

Now, no exemptions for pensioners simply on the basis that they vote more. That isn't equitable either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    ROTFL! Are you going to use that one in court? "But, m'lud, I informed the powers that be on politics.ie under my handle "cry freedom"!!

You are a prize muppet, aren't you?
    You are quite right, dotski, you are quite right!
    [I never argue with an idiot]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    I would fully support public sector pension reform and a review (by which I mean an actual review, rather than a dust gathering one) of quangos. I consider it inequitable that changes to pension arrangements for civil servants, to which they do not pay into a pension fund so have a questionable basis on which to ground a belief of legitimate expectation, are only applicable to those entering the sector at a certain date in the future. It implies a class division between people doing the same job depending on the date in which they were hired - or more specifically, their age - rather than their grade.

On the quangos issue, absolutely, clear them out where they are not needed. Of course one does have to bear in mind that clearing out quangos does have the result of increased unemployment and also the fact that some quangos are necessary. But beyond that, yes, I agree with you.

Now, no exemptions for pensioners simply on the basis that they vote more. That isn't equitable either.
    Probably.
    If they do real work and it can be objectively assessed [By someone like Colm McCarthy for instance], then fine.
    But if not why should they be on super dole rather than ordinary dole.
    What gives them the right to be better paid than other unemployed people

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just you try it!
    People like yourself deserve your pension! You paid plenty of tax (which I believe was extremely high in the 80's) and you never cost the state a penny. Remember what happened when the govt moved to remove the medical cards of the older generation? They took the streets and good on them!

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast