Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noonan says FG's Jobs plan not credible. Then he reads it and changes his mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Noonan says FG's Jobs plan not credible. Then he reads it and changes his mind.

Michael Noonan says FG's New Era plan is not credible, and that Enda Kenny's claims of 105,000 jobs were a mistake by excitable spin doctors in HR

Noonan says Fine Gael's economic stimulus plan not credible - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 15, 2010
    In his leader’s address to the Fine Gael national conference on March 22nd, Mr Kenny said: “Simon’s NewERA plan will create over 105,000 jobs.”

“Quite frankly I don’t believe it would.” He[Noonan] suggested the figure was added on to the report by “enthusiastic” public relations personnel.
    SO he rubbishes the plan, FG's spin doctors and his party leader ? Maybe Noonan will prove to be an inspired appointment...

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few simple questions.

1) Where does he rubbish the plan? Nowhere. He simply says the final jobs figure may have been added onto the report by "enthusiastic PR personnel". He doesn't say anything bad about the plan itself.

2) Where does he rubbish FG's spin doctors? Nowhere. The PR personnel may not be FG staff at all, just contracted to do some work relating to this document. And does he even "rubbish" them? No. He just says they were "enthusiastic".

3) Where does he rubbish the party leader? Again, nowhere. He's not mentioned in the report that Cyberianpan is quoting from.

So as usual, a thread started by Cyberianpan about Fine Gael is long on crap, short on facts. Par for the course.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair play to Noonan for being honest.

Five months ago I highlighted the problems with this so called plan. There is good stuff in there, but there is a lot that doesn't add up or make sense. Noonan is to be commended for telling it as it is, we have had 13 years of poor policy making.

http://www.politics.ie/fine-gael/123...wera-plan.html
    Quimby can't be trusted-Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBDEPr9P9k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I can see he's only criticised the slogan of 100,000 jobs.

When Simon gave a speech on this topic to FG members he emphasised that he had sent his proposals to the World Bank and other institutions to see how many jobs the plan could create. Simon describes 100,000 as a "conservative" figure and that the knock off and long term jobs would be above 100,000 according to the independent analysis he received.

I'm surprised by Noonan's comments and I just don't know who to believe but it's good to see Noonan going through all our policies in detail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davehiggz View Post
    As far as I can see he's only criticised the slogan of 100,000 jobs.

When Simon gave a speech on this topic to FG members he emphasised that he had sent his proposals to the World Bank and other institutions to see how many jobs the plan could create. Simon describes 100,000 as a "conservative" figure and that the knock off and long term jobs would be above 100,000 according to the independent analysis he received.

I'm surprised by Noonan's comments and I just don't know who to believe but it's good to see Noonan going through all our policies in detail.
    Take this as a positive that Noonan is willing to call it as it is. I don't think FF can lecture anyone on economic credibility and given the mess we are in, Noonan and FG would rise in my esteem if they were willing to look very carefully at all proposals and even say, well on reflection that may not work. FG have always been the party of fiscal prudence.
    Quimby can't be trusted-Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBDEPr9P9k

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's doing it again!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    A few simple questions.

1) Where does he rubbish the plan? Nowhere. He simply says the final jobs figure may have been added onto the report by "enthusiastic PR personnel". He doesn't say anything bad about the plan itself.

2) Where does he rubbish FG's spin doctors? Nowhere. The PR personnel may not be FG staff at all, just contracted to do some work relating to this document. And does he even "rubbish" them? No. He just says they were "enthusiastic".

3) Where does he rubbish the party leader? Again, nowhere. He's not mentioned in the report that Cyberianpan is quoting from.

So as usual, a thread started by Cyberianpan about Fine Gael is long on crap, short on facts. Par for the course.
    You're right, he says nothing negative about the plan at all.

However he's directly calling his leader a liar or a fool. Kenny said there would be 105,000 jobs. Noonan says there won't be and that there was no mention of them in the paper. So either Noonan's lying or mistake, Kenny's lying, or he's an idiot for not having read the paper and just relying on his PR people to educate him.

Those PR people have read a document and then made up a number that isn't mentioned anywhere in it, treated it as fact and given it to their leader to speak about.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    You're right, he says nothing negative about the plan at all.

However he's directly calling his leader a liar or a fool. Kenny said there would be 105,000 jobs. Noonan says there won't be and that there was no mention of them in the paper. So either Noonan's lying or mistake, Kenny's lying, or he's an idiot for not having read the paper and just relying on his PR people to educate him.

Those PR people have read a document and then made up a number that isn't mentioned anywhere in it, treated it as fact and given it to their leader to speak about.
    Well they put the jobs figure at the heart of their descriptions

News - FG Jobs Plan

while also creating 105,000 jobs over four years [Kenny]

while also creating 105,000 jobs over four years. [Kenny]

“Over a four year period Simon’s NewERA plan will create over 105,000 jobs. [Kenny]

get the benefit of putting over 100,000 people back to work across a range of sectors and industries.[Coveney]

We estimate up to 40,000 people in the first year alone.[Varadkar]
    The plan is pitched as being mainly about creating jobs, the party kept mentioning 100-105K jobs. So I would say that Noonan's criticisms go to the heart of the matter - what good the plan if it doesn't create jobs ? The Irish Times headlined his comments as Noonan says Fine Gael's economic stimulus plan not credible

Overall though I think the debate is a good thing, as the only way "New Era" can be justified is through hard figures, and in general I'm a fan of parties moving to evidence based policies

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    A few simple questions.

HBAP, did you hear him being interviewed on Newstalk yesterday morning? When the estimate of 100,000 jobs being created under the New Era plan was raised in the context of the ESRI commentary he was quite dismissive of the New Era projections. He made a remark to the effect of "I never really believed those figures anyway..."

The bottom line is that if FG want to beat the government with the job creation plan stick then at the very least they need to be putting forward a consistent position themselves. When the party's finance spokesman says he doesn't really believe the figures in his own party's plan then it hardly inspires confidence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Page 2 of Fine Gaels New Era document states...
    • New Jobs: 105,000 new jobs will be created. Although NewERA’s investment programme will largely be funnelled through semi-State companies, most of the new jobs will be created in the private sector through sub-contracting.

So it fairly much was part of the plan.

anyway fair play to Noonan at least he says when something is wrong. Not like our friends who wait hand and foot on the Banks and hang on their every word.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast