Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: Former Member of Statoil Board calls Conor Lenihan “naive” over Corrib

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Former Member of Statoil Board calls Conor Lenihan “naive” over Corrib

    Stein Bredal, a former member of the board of the Norwegian Company which is a partner in the controversial Corrib scheme said, according to the Irish Times:
    • Oil and gas companies tended to act totally on behalf of shareholders and were in a position to hire the best legal expertise, and were also able to hire journalists to work for them.

    • A common public relations strategy was to present critics of projects or project methodology as “crazies or fundamentalists”, he said.

    • The Government should never have permitted construction of the gas infrastructure in the current location

    • When oil was first found in the North Sea, Norway was “very lucky to have had some strong politicians who planned for the future”, and ensured that the Norwegian state built up expertise in the oil and gas industry, took a 78 per cent tax stake, and ran a state company

    • the appointment of a new ombudsman trusted by “all stakeholders” may be the only route to resolution of the Corrib gas dispute in north Mayo

    • Minister of State for Natural Resources Conor Lenihan was “naive” to state that a BP Gulf of Mexico-type incident could not happen in Irish waters.

    Appointment of ombudsman to Corrib gas advised - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 12, 2010

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stripey cat View Post
    Stein Bredal, a former member of the board of the Norwegian Company which is a partner in the controversial Corrib scheme said, according to the Irish Times:
    • Oil and gas companies tended to act totally on behalf of shareholders and were in a position to hire the best legal expertise, and were also able to hire journalists to work for them.

    • A common public relations strategy was to present critics of projects or project methodology as “crazies or fundamentalists”, he said.

    • The Government should never have permitted construction of the gas infrastructure in the current location

    • When oil was first found in the North Sea, Norway was “very lucky to have had some strong politicians who planned for the future”, and ensured that the Norwegian state built up expertise in the oil and gas industry, took a 78 per cent tax stake, and ran a state company

    • the appointment of a new ombudsman trusted by “all stakeholders” may be the only route to resolution of the Corrib gas dispute in north Mayo

    • Minister of State for Natural Resources Conor Lenihan was “naive” to state that a BP Gulf of Mexico-type incident could not happen in Irish waters.

    Appointment of ombudsman to Corrib gas advised - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 12, 2010
    In regard to Conor Lenihan stating 'that a BP Gulf of Mexico-type incident could not happen in Irish waters'. He has insurance here in that if a accident did happen, no doubt he and others could say that the accident was caused by terrorists elements of the Shell 2 Sea campaign.
    Last edited by realistic1; 14th July 2010 at 05:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Obviously Lenihan is a fool to suggest an accident could never happen.

    I am not sure Norway & Ireland are comparable. I doubt Ireland ever has the potential to produce anything like the Norwegian volumes of oil and gas to make a state company worthwhile - its too easy to suggest creating a state company after the gas is found. I don't remember any one suggesting we create a state company 10-15 years ago.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stripey cat View Post
    Stein Bredal, a former member of the board of the Norwegian Company which is a partner in the controversial Corrib scheme said, according to the Irish Times:

    Oil and gas companies tended to act totally on behalf of shareholders and were in a position to hire the best legal expertise, and were also able to hire journalists to work for them.
    A common public relations strategy was to present critics of projects or project methodology as “crazies or fundamentalists”, he said.
    A few of those so called journalists spend a bit of time around here I would say. Every time a thread is started on the Corrib gas issue, there are fellas that come on here and swear blind that those who represented the Irish people got the best deal possible out of Shell for the potential resources off the coast of Co. Mayo.

    Wont be long, so long as the thread is alive, they'll be back again............

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If an accident happens here it'll be Lehmans fault anyway , as for calling Conor Lenihan naive , thats an outrage.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    Obviously Lenihan is a fool to suggest an accident could never happen.

    I am not sure Norway & Ireland are comparable. I doubt Ireland ever has the potential to produce anything like the Norwegian volumes of oil and gas to make a state company worthwhile - its too easy to suggest creating a state company after the gas is found. I don't remember any one suggesting we create a state company 10-15 years ago.
    Obviously Lenihan is a fool.........let's just leave it at that.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Biffomania View Post
    Obviously Lenihan is a fool.........let's just leave it at that.
    You cant just 'leave it at that' this is a disussion and people are entitled to use other terms to describe Conor Lenihan.

  8. #8
    Ex-Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In a house. For now at least.
    Posts
    1,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by showbandmanager View Post
    If an accident happens here it'll be Lehmans fault anyway , as for calling Conor Lenihan naive , thats an outrage.

    You are so right. Its an outrage to call Conor Lenihan naive. The man is an absolute ass hole of the highest order.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Asparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    Obviously Lenihan is a fool to suggest an accident could never happen.

    I am not sure Norway & Ireland are comparable. I doubt Ireland ever has the potential to produce anything like the Norwegian volumes of oil and gas to make a state company worthwhile - its too easy to suggest creating a state company after the gas is found. I don't remember any one suggesting we create a state company 10-15 years ago.
    We don't need a state company - we just need a public private partnership with profit sharing - For the first 3 years give them 60-40 to pay for the expolration and then reverse it.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Asparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    You are so right. Its an outrage to call Conor Lenihan naive. The man is an absolute ass hole of the highest order.
    if FF ever needs an enema it will be inserted in conor lenihan wha wha
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •