Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Lowry, return to Fine Gael??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Michael Lowry, return to Fine Gael??

I don't have the article yet because I only saw a glimpse on the front of the Irish Independent on Vincent Browne.

The small headline suggested the Enda Kenny might be trying to bring Michael Lowry back into the party or that Lowry himself might be requesting to join Fine Gael.

What do we think?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He'd be burnt by a huge number of FGers in Tipp North.. no more so than by Noel Coonan. It would probably cost FG a seat overall in North Tipp because much of Lowry's vote is not FG vote, which he'd lose if he was in a party.

I can't see it happening. At best, Kenny may be offering him inducements to bring down the current Government
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No way. FG kick out the bad 'uns unlike in FF where it works on a revolving door basis or as votes are needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess it all depends on what the tribunal concludes. If Lowry is cleared of all wrongdoing then Kenny could easily bring him in. If he is found to have done anything wrong then it's a no go area.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davehiggz View Post
    I guess it all depends on what the tribunal concludes. If Lowry is cleared of all wrongdoing then Kenny could easily bring him in. If he is found to have done anything wrong then it's a no go area.
    North Tipp FG don't want him. Noel Coonan doesn't want him. Why would Kenny want to antagonise and potentially create another unnecessary split in FG over Michael Lowry ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he was involved in wrongdoing which is why he was ejected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The convulsions within Fine Gael would make it unfit for government. Lowry and his expulsion are the litmus test of how Fine Gael is different from Fianna Fáil on ethical matters.

Only Labour and Fianna Fáil would want Lowry to rejoin Fine Gael.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    he was involved in wrongdoing which is why he was ejected.
    It would be a very bad move for Enda Kenny if he agrees to this-To the best of my knowledge Lowry availed of the tax amnesty years back without full declaration of an offshore account-correct me if I`m wrong

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The headline in the top right corner of tomorrow's Irish Independent says: "Kenny hints at Lowry return to FG" - it's a piece by Fionnan Sheahan, but that's about as much as I can make out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have the article yet because I only saw a glimpse on the front of the Irish Independent on Vincent Browne.

The small headline suggested the Enda Kenny might be trying to bring Michael Lowry back into the party or that Lowry himself might be requesting to join Fine Gael.

What do we think?
    Personally I wouldn't find it surprising at all. As most people who have a basic grasp of Irish politics have known for a long time now there is little or no difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. So just like FF will take back the likes of Beverley Cooper Flynn, FG will do do the same with the arch gombeen Lowry. Plus ca change as the French say.

Hopefully the Irish electorate will wake up soon and realise that FG and FF are one and the same. A real alternative to FF/FG lead governments is the starting point to a much needed transformation of the Irish political landscape.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast