Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 99 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: French Assembly votes 335:1 to ban full veil

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default French Assembly votes 335:1 to ban full veil

France lawmakers approve ban on full veil
    France’s National Assembly on Tuesday backed by a crushing majority a bill banning the wearing of the full face veil in public spaces, a garment which politicians across the political spectrum regard as a symbol of religious extremism.
    FT.com / Europe - French lawmakers approve ban on full veil

The FT goes on to report that Belgium and Spain are taking similar moves.

See also: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking45.html

I personally welcome this ban. I agree with the analysis that it is essentially an oppressive tool against women, and that it impinges directly on human dignity as understood by our (western) culture. I hope we consider taking similar steps here in Ireland. From never having seen one here before, in recent months I've noticed an almost ostentatious proliferation of women in full veil in Dublin city. I hope we have the courage to lay down our own marker to those of our Muslim guests who insist on this practice.

---------

EDIT (October 2012): This is a pretty long thread, but for anyone who's interested in specific detail and pretty focussed discusssion:

- I restate my position at posts 514 (http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...ml#post2854772) and 696 (http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...ml#post2890339)

- I commence an analysis of the French Assembly report on the full veil at post 751 (http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...ml#post2956637) concluding with post no. 792 (http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...l-veil-20.html)

- Sondagefaux introduced a discussion of ECHR aspects at post 457 (http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...ml#post2852502)
    Last edited by McDave; 6th October 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Adding minor index to OP on some of the main substantive points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+10

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good news

This should become an EU wide ban.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF would have to check with their Saudi masters first..a lá Blasphemy Law..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally welcome this ban. I agree with the analysis that it is essentially an oppressive tool against women, and that it impinges directly on human dignity as understood by our (western) culture. I hope we consider taking similar steps here in Ireland. From never having seen one here before, in recent months I've noticed an almost ostentatious proliferation of women in full veil in Dublin city. I hope we have the courage to lay down our own marker to those of our Muslim guests who insist on this practice.
    Provided a woman is wearing a Veil of her own free volition, I've no problem with it. Isn't it surely more oppressing to force someone not to wear something which they want to?

And furthermore I don't agree with the assertion of our "western" culture. I'm Irish, not western.

I can't see any prospect of such a ban coming into force here - I can't see any political party being willing to even consider such a suggestion.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have mixed feelings on this but have to ask would a place of business, there is a security issue, not putting any ideas into anyones head but it would be a good way to disguise oneself for a robbery!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    France lawmakers approve ban on full veil
    France’s National Assembly on Tuesday backed by a crushing majority a bill banning the wearing of the full face veil in public spaces, a garment which politicians across the political spectrum regard as a symbol of religious extremism.
    FT.com / Europe - French lawmakers approve ban on full veil

The FT goes on to report that Belgium and Spain are taking similar moves.

See also: French parliament passes burqa ban - The Irish Times - Tue, Jul 13, 2010

By "public spaces" do you know do they mean public offices/state spaces, or public areas, where the public congregate? Is it a complete ban? Just to be clear. The latter might cause them problems before the ECtHR as it would seem, simpliciter, to inhibit freedom of expression.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Incidentally, I have to take issue with the Irish Times editorial of 12 July (Burqa ban - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 12, 2010). Not necessarily for it's position mind you, but for its sanctimonious knee-jerk tone in prejudging that the issue is closed from a liberal point of view.

The above opinion piece introduces a piece of legalistic cavilling in asserting that 'Evidence of coercion [of unwilling women] has not been forthcoming'. This effectively (and IMO dishonestly) implies the wearing of the niqab and burqa is entirely a voluntary phenomenon. And the IT's judgemental coup de grace is as follows: 'It is difficult to escape the conclusion that the legislation [...] is largely a cynical attempt to pander to anti-Islamist, xenophobic sentiments'.

I don't think Madame Editor has to dig too deep to understand the reasons why, according to certain extreme tenets, men can dress basically as they please, while women are obliged to conceal practically every part of their identity from the outside world. This practice has no place in western civilisation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casualbets View Post
    Provided a woman is wearing a Veil of her own free volition, I've no problem with it. Isn't it surely more oppressing to force someone not to wear something which they want to?

And furthermore I don't agree with the assertion of our "western" culture. I'm Irish, not western.

I can't see any prospect of such a ban coming into force here - I can't see any political party being willing to even consider such a suggestion.
    +1

Page 1 of 99 123451151 ... LastLast