Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking: SF's Pearse Doherty in High Court over failure to hold by-election

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Breaking: SF's Pearse Doherty in High Court over failure to hold by-election

Just got this statement.

Donegal Sinn Féin Senator Pearse Doherty is in the High Court this morning seeking leave for a judicial review into the failure of the government to hold the Donegal South West by-election.*****
    If leave is granted this will be a first step in the battle to force the government to hold the by-election.
    Senator Doherty will be available to speak to the media outside the High Court, following the courts decision at approximately 1pm. He will be accompanied by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams and the party's Dáil Group Leader Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin TD.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not a fan of sinn fein , but i'm glad this is happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair play to him!!
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Worth testing. I'd be curious to see what he's actually going to ask for review though. Is he going to argue that the failure to hold by-elections is against the constitution? Because....it isn't.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its good to see someone from Donegal is upholding democracy. Its a pity most of the county is in the pockets of Fianna Fail and therefore voiceless to raise concerns.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    Just got this statement.

Donegal Sinn Féin Senator Pearse Doherty is in the High Court this morning seeking leave for a judicial review into the failure of the government to hold the Donegal South West by-election.*****
    If leave is granted this will be a first step in the battle to force the government to hold the by-election.
    Senator Doherty will be available to speak to the media outside the High Court, following the courts decision at approximately 1pm. He will be accompanied by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams and the party's Dáil Group Leader Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin TD.
    This is obviously a SF press release quoting things that are to come like press interviews etc. Is this permitted on this forum. BTW I hope he gets a good result in the court, but judiciary are slow to interfere unless law or constitution are actually broken.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    This is obviously a SF press release quoting things that are to come like press interviews etc. Is this permitted on this forum. .
    Yes of course it is.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    This is obviously a SF press release quoting things that are to come like press interviews etc. Is this permitted on this forum. BTW I hope he gets a good result in the court, but judiciary are slow to interfere unless law or constitution are actually broken.

Yes it is their statement, as I said in the OP. I don't have a link to it as its not on their website yet.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is one of the reasons for not holding the by-election the expense of it?
    Well if there is a series of court cases, it wont be long before the cost of the court cases could outweigh the costs of holding the by-election.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    Yes it is their statement, as I said in the OP.
    No, you didn't say it was a statement from the Party.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast