Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin Airport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dublin Airport

Is this the worst airport in Europe? I don't know but it is certainly in the bottom one. A lot of criticism of the public sector or semi-state sector is unwarranted but the criticism of the DAA does not go far enough. Michael O'Leary is right on this one. The whole place is a disorganised mess. The appearance I get from them is that they are more interested in running a shopping mall rather than the core business of operating an airport.
    The notion that the opening of Terminal 2 is the answer is naive. If anything, because of its location, it will exacerbate the situation. From the complete rip-off that is parking charges to the inadequate signage and miles and miles of corridors and stairs to negotiate to get to and from the planes.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is my view:

1. T1 arrivals is a kip. Dark and dingy, it is certainly no good advert for the country.
    2. The security staff tend to be rude.
    3. There are not enough boards displaying gate numbers when airside.
    4. There needs to be a separate channel for those arriving from the UK as there is in all UK airports for those arriving from here..
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You almost always have to wait at least 40 mins for your luggage. Evenon a great day 20 minutes is almost unheard of.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Certainly not the worst in Europe. CDG's old terminals would be far worse, as anyone who queues for 40 minutes to get through security can attest. The baggage handling is slow, but that depends on what airline you use. AL would be much slower than AF or Ryanair.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Dublin Airport is creaking under expansion but is by no means the worst airport in Europe or the world by a long shot.

Most of the complaints people have relate to convenience but there is little benchmark for this.

Any medium to large sized airport involves lots of walking, expensive parking, poor wayfinding and peak time congestion.

Anyway, you should be getting the boat to the UK anyway in anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be nice if they replaced the lino on the floor in the baggage hall. Its covered in chewing gum and about 30 years old.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certainly not the worst in Europe, not by a long shot. I suspect people who say that travel on a very limited number of routes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We all know Dublin Airport has its problems but the DAA are spending €2billion developing, improving and expanding the facilities at the airport. That started in 2004 and won't be completed until 2014.

Dublin is very much a 1970s airport bursting at the seams. Terminal 2 should really improve things - despite the naysayers and the 'white elephant' guff from O'Leary.

I think people should wait until all this work is completed before passing judgement. There is no magic wand solution to all the problems at Dublin Airport but the work being done now and up to 2014 will deliver one of the most modern airports in Europe. And Metro North and Dart Underground will finally deliver rail links between the airport and the city centre and mainline train stations.

As for being among the worst in Europe, I would disagree. Gatwick, Brussels and Milan Malpensa vie for that title. I hate going through Gatwick and a return from Malpensa was one of the worst airport experiences of my life. Dublin is heaven compared to either of them.
    Last edited by Grumpy Jack; 12th July 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dublin Airport is actually quite good. With the opening of Terminal 2 it'll be one of the better ones in Europe.

Charles de Gaulle is dire, and Stansted is only a little better. Berlin Schonefeld is probably the worst I've been to yet though, a dingy dive.

On the whole, Dublin Airport compares pretty favourably to what's on offer in the rest of Europe.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Dublin Airport is actually quite good. With the opening of Terminal 2 it'll be one of the better ones in Europe.

Charles de Gaulle is dire, and Stansted is only a little better. Berlin Schonefeld is probably the worst I've been to yet though, a dingy dive.

On the whole, Dublin Airport compares pretty favourably to what's on offer in the rest of Europe.
    That's because it is communist era stuff. Tegal is very modern.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast