Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Assassination in slow motion: can't we help the Collins family live in peace?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Assassination in slow motion: can't we help the Collins family live in peace?

Edit: the latest on this family's story is told by Kathy Sheridan in the Weekend Section of the Irish Times August 21, 2010. As the political squabbling over the Michael Collins commemoration absorbs some of our politicians and their acolytes perhaps they might stop and ask if Michael Collins' memory might be better served by helping the living members of another Collins family to recover a life of dignity and peace.

Thread title has been amended.

Roy Collins was a victim of Ireland's continued toleration of the death penalty. His family is unusual but not unique in standing up proudly and having enough faith in our justice system to expect it would protect them.

Officially Ireland as a State has signed up to various treaties that say we should abolish the death penalty. So the State does not directly put anyone to death. But many Irish people impose a death penalty on people who cross them as if they can act with impunity. They seem to be beyond the reach of the law.

Why do we in reality tolerate the death penalty being imposed on our fellow citizens by others of our fellow citizens?

Link to Prime Time report on family living under threat of more assassinations

Can we not reclaim our freedom?
    Last edited by He3; 21st August 2010 at 03:47 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Roy Collins was a victim of Ireland's continued toleration of the death penalty. His family is unusual but not unique in standing up proudly and having enough faith in our justice system to expect it would protect them.

Officially Ireland as a State has signed up to various treaties that say we should abolish the death penalty. So the State does not directly put anyone to death. But many Irish people impose a death penalty on people as if they can act with impunity. They seem to be beyond the reach of the law.

Why do we in reality tolerate the death penalty being imposed on our fellow citizens by others of our fellow citizens?

RT Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online

Can we not reclaim our freedom?
    The thread title and your post are misleading and frankly ridiculous.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did we not vote in 2001 to get rid of the death penalty?

I don't follow your point here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The point is that we have allowed whole areas of our country to operate effectively outside the law. In those areas, and occasionally outside them, the death penalty is still in vogue.

While at a State level we do not execute criminals, many criminals are in effect free to execute at will. (The fact that some are caught, or more accurately some of their patsies who pull the trigger are caught, is beside the point - the perception they have is that they can kill with impunity, in other words without fear of sanction)

The death penalty is meted out regularly in Ireland. We are a small relatively homogenous country. We can stop this. When will we?

The official abolition of the death penalty at State level is sweet, but irrelevant. By analogy, suppose a state had abolished slavery, but in reality tolerated the keeping of slaves by its people in their private houses. Would you say slavery had been abolished in that country?

The death penalty remains to be abolished in Ireland.
    Last edited by He3; 11th July 2010 at 03:01 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    Did we not vote in 2001 to get rid of the death penalty?

I don't follow your point here.
    I think you need to hit yourself with a hammer and down a bottle of vodka to see the logic.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I think you need to hit yourself with a hammer and down a bottle of vodka to see the logic.
    I tried that. I didn't help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Did you not know that a family in Limerick is living under what amounts to a death sentence, with one of their sons already executed and another surviving an attempted assassination?

No vodka required Sync. No cocaine either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You don't understand that there's a difference between criminals threatening people and state sanctioned executions do you?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have already commented on the difference.

What you are ignoring is the similarity.

Dead people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am utterly lost. Are you saying that people murdering each other are basically state sanctioned executions?
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast