Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring the Latin Mass

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Restoring the Latin Mass

I'm only 17 but watching videos like this gives me pangs of nostalgia in my stomach:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... sa+cantata

I converted out of the Church of Ireland last Easter, and was received into the Catholic Church. When I was in the CoI, I always identified with the traditionalist Anglo-Catholic, high church wing. We used much of the traditional liturgy in worship. Although I am very glad to be Catholic now, I still miss the traditional liturgy. Problem is, I live in rural Donegal and the only traditionalists are ones in schism with the Holy See like the SSPX. I am not bashing the Novus Ordo Missae, but it doesn't really float the boat for me.

That's why I'm very excited about the recent news that the Holy Father may be allowing wider use of the Missae Cantata(tridentine mass), although I only half believe it. But while he was Cardinal Ratzinger he criticized the ban on the old missal. A few groups like the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter are allowed to say the mass in pre-Vatican II form and they are still in full communion with the Holy See, but there's none near me

Here's another nice video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxh_SpPb ... ed&search=

So whattya think? Should Pope Benedict bring back the Latin Mass?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Restoring the Latin Mass

Quote Originally Posted by zacchy
    I'm only 17 but watching videos like this gives me pangs of nostalgia in my stomach:

I converted out of the Church of Ireland last Easter, and was received into the Catholic Church. When I was in the CoI, I always identified with the traditionalist Anglo-Catholic, high church wing. We used much of the traditional liturgy in worship. Although I am very glad to be Catholic now, I still miss the traditional liturgy. Problem is, I live in rural Donegal and the only traditionalists are ones in schism with the Holy See like the SSPX. I am not bashing the Novus Ordo Missae, but it doesn't really float the boat for me.

That's why I'm very excited about the recent news that the Holy Father may be allowing wider use of the Missae Cantata(tridentine mass), although I only half believe it. But while he was Cardinal Ratzinger he criticized the ban on the old missal. A few groups like the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter are allowed to say the mass in pre-Vatican II form and they are still in full communion with the Holy See, but there's none near me

Out of curiousity, why did you convert?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual

Out of curiousity, why did you convert?

For many, many reasons. I am fairly conservative in my theology, and the CoI seems to be rejecting many of the traditional Christian positions on matters like human sexuality, and women priests as well as other matters. Also, I re-orientated my theology towards Rome, mainly because of my studying of the writings of the Church Fathers.

I always find it funny when I hear Catholics going on about how 'out of touch' the Catholic Church is with the 'modern world'. I think they should join the Church of Ireland. They'd fit in well with the theological anarchists there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always liked the old 'latin' Mass a lot better than the modern form. It gave the Church a Universal format in which to celebrate the Mass.

TBH I think the Catholic Church should allow married priests and women priests.

I think that to do so would lead a lot of people back into the Church simply because a lot more priests would be ordained or return to the fold.

I think the mass is probably better in lingua franca so that the people can participate and understand what is going on. But I am not in favour of reducing the wording of the Mass to the bare essentials and replacing a poetic phrase with a plain word, which a number of priests seem to do. Latin can aid an sense of mystery and cermony to the Mass that is often missing. But I think latin should only be used at certain masses.
    I would like to see a greater use of Irish in Masses. There was a time when every parish had an Irish Mass on Sunday.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think one can experience nostalgia for something that predates one's birth, and I don't think your adopted theologies allow for past-life experiences.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The church should try and restore the peoples confidence in it before anything else!!!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Problem is, I live in rural Donegal and the only traditionalists are ones in schism with the Holy See like the SSPX.
    There are a number of priests who celebrate thetraditional Mass in Donegal and are not in schism. See http://latinmassireland.org. For example, I see they have a gig coming up at Rosnowlagh in May.

Are you a Free P in disguise?
    Such a move would only alienate people and discourage them from going to church. Church services should be conducted in a language that the congregations understand.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shankill Browser
    Are you a Free P in disguise?
    Such a move would only alienate people and discourage them from going to church. Church services should be conducted in a language that the congregations understand.
    I think what would be required would be pluralism. Restore the traditional Mass for those (many) people who want it, but keep the more contemporary Mass available for people who enjoy woeshipping God in that fashion>

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast