Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Doesn't Sinn Féin Oust Adams?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why Doesn't Sinn Féin Oust Adams?

I don't know if this has been asked here before so sorry if it has, but why hasn't any attempt been made to oust Gerry Adams?

Surely he's been holding back the party in the South? Sinn Féin had a huge opportunity to increase it's vote at the last election and failed to produce the goods. Why? Because Gerry Adams hasn't a clue whats going on in the South and is going on with the same auld mantra that effects no one, i.e. human rights, equality etc etc. These are non-issues in modern Ireland.

Its been said by a number of Sinn Féin councillors, some of whom have since left the party - Sinn Féin can't grow in the South as long as it has Gerry Adams as President and focuses too much on the North.

Surely Gerry Adams himself recognises that he's holding the party back? Not just from growing in the South, but he's also compromising the party's position in campaigning for Irish Unity. Because at the end of the day, what Unionist(no matter how moderate) will listen to Gerry Adams given the stigma he carries? Surely Sinn Féin would be better able to pursuade moderate Unionists of the benefits of a United Ireland with someone who has no connection to the troubles?

Would Sinn Féin not at least let Mary Lou McDonald be the Sinn Féin voice for the Southern elections?
    Last edited by dublincitizen; 8th July 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dublincitizen View Post
    I don't if this has been asked here before so sorry if it has, but why hasn't any attempt been made to oust Gerry Adams?

Surely he's been holding back the party in the South? Sinn Féin had a huge opportunity to increase it's vote at the last election and failed to produce the goods. Why? Because Gerry Adams hasn't a clue whats going on in the South and is going on with the same auld mantra that effects no one, i.e. human rights, equality etc etc. These are non-issues in modern Ireland.

Its been said by a number of Sinn Féin councillors, some of whom have since left the party - Sinn Féin can't grow in the South as long as it has Gerry Adams as President and focuses too much on the North.

Surely Gerry Adams himself recognises that he's holding the party back? Not just from growing in the South, but he's also compromising the party's position in campaigning for Irish Unity. Because at the end of the day, what Unionist(no matter how moderate) will listen to Gerry Adams given the stigma he carries? Surely Sinn Féin would be better able to pursuade moderate Unionists of the benefits of a United Ireland with someone who has no connection to the troubles?

Would Sinn Féin not at least let Mary Lou McDonald be the Sinn Féin voice for the Southern elections?
    Adams is not the reason SF bombed south of the Border.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was shown up at the last election to be a complete ignoramus when it came to economics. Spouting out old populist left wing nonsense.
    There will alway be the fools or as Stalin used call them "useful idiots" who will vote Sinn Fein but thats that.

Labour ( or more correctly the old Sinn Fein The Workers Party wing) have grabbed the left votw with their version of populist old rubbish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

" Adams is not the reason SF bombed south of the Border"

Who was it ordered the bombing on Bloody Friday ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lads my comments had nothing to do with bombings. The issue with Adams in relation to the South is that he hasn't a clue what the issues are. In relation to the North its that he can't and shouldn't be the one attempting to convince Unionists to support a United Ireland. So why keep him?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who'd replace him? Surely the Deputy First Minister/Chief of Staff? That should really solve the problem of 'bombing south of the border'!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Someone from the South ideally.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of my main memories from the 2007 election is McDowell destroying Gerry Adams. That definitly cost SF a lot of votes even if the PDs didn't gain anything from it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dublincitizen View Post
    I don't know if this has been asked here before so sorry if it has, but why hasn't any attempt been made to oust Gerry Adams?
    How do you know there haven't been attempts ?

Who knows ... there were certainly theories about Loughgall Ambush being very convenient for Gerry .......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    How do you know there haven't been attempts ?

Who knows ... there were certainly theories about Loughgall Ambush being very convenient for Gerry .......
    I don't and there could've been for all we know, but we haven't seen any senior figures publicly declare no confidence in Adams, and I don't understand why because he's doing nothing for the party atm and is just holding it back(in the South anyway).

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast