Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: Anglo-Irish Treaty - Public referendum?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member diy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Anglo-Irish Treaty - Public referendum?

    My understanding is that the Treaty required ratification by Dáil Éireann, the House of Commons of Southern Ireland and the British Parliament.

    However, was there a public referendum on the treaty?

    If so, does anyone know what % voted in favour?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There was no referendum on the treaty.

    Those in power at the time pulled the wool over the general public and left it until after another general election to decide things amogst themselves.

    Sadly the Dail was filled with IRB members who did what their leader told them to do.

    Their leader was Michael Collins, so it's no surprise that the Treaty was accepted by Dail Eireann.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member forest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    EU, Dublin
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    whats the anglo irish treaty:
    was that the 1st one in the 80's
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forest
    whats the anglo irish treaty:
    was that the 1st one in the 80's
    No that was the Anglo Irish Agreement which was something that the SDLP and FG thought a good idea. Sinn Fein negotiated the Good Friday Agreement which was better.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Anglo-Irish Treaty - Public referendum?

    Quote Originally Posted by diy01
    My understanding is that the Treaty required ratification by Dáil Éireann, the House of Commons of Southern Ireland and the British Parliament.

    However, was there a public referendum on the treaty?

    If so, does anyone know what % voted in favour?
    There was no direct referendum on it. However there an election where people had the choice between Pro-Treaty parties and an Anti-Treaty party and the Pro Treaty parties won a massive victory. I can't find the exact percent, but the Pro Treaty parties got about 70% and Anti-Treaty SF 30% of the vote.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjacollins
    There was no referendum on the treaty.

    Those in power at the time pulled the wool over the general public and left it until after another general election to decide things amogst themselves.

    Sadly the Dail was filled with IRB members who did what their leader told them to do.

    Their leader was Michael Collins, so it's no surprise that the Treaty was accepted by Dail Eireann.
    Although the IRB supported the Treaty as a group, all of its TDs were allowed to vote on the treaty according to their own consciences, for example Harry Boland was a leading figure in the IRB and he voted against the Treaty in the Dail.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Galway West
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Anglo-Irish Treaty - Public referendum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by diy01
    My understanding is that the Treaty required ratification by Dáil Éireann, the House of Commons of Southern Ireland and the British Parliament.

    However, was there a public referendum on the treaty?

    If so, does anyone know what % voted in favour?
    There was no direct referendum on it. However there an election where people had the choice between Pro-Treaty parties and an Anti-Treaty party and the Pro Treaty parties won a massive victory. I can't find the exact percent, but the Pro Treaty parties got about 70% and Anti-Treaty SF 30% of the vote.
    Actually Pro-Treaty candidates got 46% and Anti-Treaty 28%. Labour and The Farmers Party did surprisingly well in that election.
    But, are you happy? Support 'Mozalini's Law'

    http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?p=1005586#1005586

  8. #8

    Default

    In fairness, the 1985 Ango-Irish Treaty was the foundation stone of the Good Friday Agreement.

    For the first time it gave Dublin a role in the North and paved the way for the unified approach from London and Dublin.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Anglo-Irish Treaty - Public referendum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozalini
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by diy01
    My understanding is that the Treaty required ratification by Dáil Éireann, the House of Commons of Southern Ireland and the British Parliament.

    However, was there a public referendum on the treaty?

    If so, does anyone know what % voted in favour?
    There was no direct referendum on it. However there an election where people had the choice between Pro-Treaty parties and an Anti-Treaty party and the Pro Treaty parties won a massive victory. I can't find the exact percent, but the Pro Treaty parties got about 70% and Anti-Treaty SF 30% of the vote.
    Actually Pro-Treaty candidates got 46% and Anti-Treaty 28%. Labour and The Farmers Party did surprisingly well in that election.
    Labour, the Farmers Party and all the Independents were all Pro-Treaty so a vote for them was a vote for the Treaty.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aontas Sóvéideach na hÉireann
    Posts
    13,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If there was democracy in Ireland we would have a referendum in all 32 counties now to see if the people want the 32 county Republic Re-established.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •