Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 332

Thread: RTE Radio 1 Doc: Orangeman in Dublin

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dirty Old Town
    Posts
    12,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default RTE Radio 1 Doc: Orangeman in Dublin

    should be an interesting one. And fair play to RTE. The Dublin Brethren deserve credit for leading the way in the republic and bringing Orangeism in from the cold

    RT….ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - Orangeman in Dublin
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Red_93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    should be an interesting one. And fair play to RTE. The Dublin Brethren deserve credit for leading the way in the republic and bringing Orangeism in from the cold

    RT….ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - Orangeman in Dublin
    Sorry, this a genuine question, but what actually is the purpose of the Orange Order? is it just to celebrate the fact that they're not Catholic, and therefore traditionally not poor as sh1T?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dirty Old Town
    Posts
    12,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Sorry, this a genuine question, but what actually is the purpose of the Orange Order? is it just to celebrate the fact that they're not Catholic, and therefore traditionally not poor as sh1T?
    I'm serious when I say this, but HUH?

    Most Prods I know are "poor as sh1T", myself included.

    and if you're seriously asking what the OO celebrates then what are you doing on an Irish forum? And I mean that with all due respect....
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,426
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Sorry, this a genuine question, but what actually is the purpose of the Orange Order? is it just to celebrate the fact that they're not Catholic, and therefore traditionally not poor as sh1T?
    Spoiled an interesting question by letting the mask slip with the second part....

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    should be an interesting one. And fair play to RTE. The Dublin Brethren deserve credit for leading the way in the republic and bringing Orangeism in from the cold

    RT….ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - Orangeman in Dublin
    My local football club has far more members,not much chance RTE having us on to talk about the type of advantages we provide for kids in their formative years despite the constant struggle for funding and facilities,and we would never turn a kid away because of his religious beliefs.Ime sick of all this pc crap,the OO is a massive threat to lasting peace on this Island,always has been and always will be,it should be on the proscribed list,again i will point to the years of the Drumcree issue,10 men women and children slaughtered in direct connection to the Orange Orders total intractibility,tip of the Iceberg,and not one of its members would ever own up to their connections to loyalist deathsquads,then we have their apologists on here the brass necks to question G Adams honesty.Away with the lot of yis,beat your war drums and burn your tricolours,theres not a man amongst the lot of you.History will judge the OO for what it is, sectarian and poison.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    ''I see myself as a Royalist, as a member of the Orange Order I see the sovereign as the keystone. I have to be loyal to the country I live in and I'm happy to call myself Irish, but the sovereign Queen Elizabeth II I see as the keystone to a stable society.''

    An interesting, if somewhat bizarre comment.

    (British) royalty is necessary for a stable society? A curious view.
    Would American Orangemen share a similar outlook? I would be very surprised if the answer were yes being that their democracy is built on liberty from an unrepresentative monarchy.

    Furthermore, do Irish members of the Orange Order carry British flags on their marches or the flag of their country, as I presume, Canadian, Australian, American etc. Orangemen do?

    I'm serious when I say this, but HUH?

    Most Prods I know are "poor as sh1T", myself included.
    Quite true. I know many Protestants who are very far from being rich. Would many southern members identify as ''working-class''?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,426
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    This I found interesting :

    Only one political formation in Ireland was able to match the hegemonic resources of the Catholic Church. Unionism, as Peter Gibbon points out, provided a rival to nationalism unparalleled throughout Europe for its effectiveness, popular support and staying power. And nowhere was it's capacity to create social cohesion more obvious than in one of its unloveliest manifestations. The Orange Order, founded in Ulster in 1795 as a reaction to Defenderist militancy, represents one of the most intimate bondings between upper and lower classes in the history of British class relations.


    Terry Eagleton, Heathcliff and the Great Hunger, page 82

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member British Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Loyalist East Belfast, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idle tim View Post
    My local football club has far more members,not much chance RTE having us on to talk about the type of advantages we provide for kids in their formative years despite the constant struggle for funding and facilities,and we would never turn a kid away because of his religious beliefs.Ime sick of all this pc crap,the OO is a massive threat to lasting peace on this Island,always has been and always will be,it should be on the proscribed list,again i will point to the years of the Drumcree issue,10 men women and children slaughtered in direct connection to the Orange Orders total intractibility,tip of the Iceberg,and not one of its members would ever own up to their connections to loyalist deathsquads,then we have their apologists on here the brass necks to question G Adams honesty.Away with the lot of yis,beat your war drums and burn your tricolours,theres not a man amongst the lot of you.History will judge the OO for what it is, sectarian and poison.
    And how many thousands have been killed in the quest for a 'peaceful Ireland'??

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dirty Old Town
    Posts
    12,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Furthermore, do Irish members of the Orange Order carry British flags on their marches or the flag of their country, as I presume, Canadian, Australian, American etc. Orangemen do?
    We do carry Union Flags, they adorn our lodge rooms too. That being said, we do also carry and display the Cross of Saint Patrick as the flag of our country. I'm sorry, but for us, the tri-colour is the flag of a political and cultural movement. And that's being polite about it. We have absolutely no attachment to the tri-colour.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Quite true. I know many Protestants who are very far from being rich. Would many southern members identify as ''working-class''?
    My lodge would be quite mixed, but leaning I'd say towards working class. Churchmen, teachers, factory workers, construction workers and two farmers. a couple unemployed too. a couple of professionals for variety.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

  10. #10
    Cass
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    We do carry Union Flags, they adorn our lodge rooms too. That being said, we do also carry and display the Cross of Saint Patrick as the flag of our country. I'm sorry, but for us, the tri-colour is the flag of a political and cultural movement. And that's being polite about it. We have absolutely no attachment to the tri-colour.


    My lodge would be quite mixed, but leaning I'd say towards working class. Churchmen, teachers, factory workers, construction workers and two farmers. a couple unemployed too. a couple of professionals for variety.
    So you carry a foreign flag, don't recognise your National flag, and you claim to be loyal to the country? Is it because the Irish flag ,which represents all traditions, represent a part of Ireland which is independent and a Republic?

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •