Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Caster Semenya is a Woman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by Glucose; 6th July 2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: wrong link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I knew it......now if we can just have our health minister tested please.

I know its bad taste, I'm going to ban myself for a few days.
    Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Caster Semenya expected to be affected by IAAF rule changes

What is the history of gender testing?

Helen Stephens (left) and Stella Walsh
    German officials examined Helen Stephens (left) before the Games and declared her female; an autopsy of Stella Walsh 40 years later revealed she had ambiguous genitalia.

1936: Polish runner Stella Walsh and America's Helen Stephens are accused of being male imposters during the Berlin Olympics.
    1938: German high jumper Dora Ratjen is identified as male, and Germany return the gold medal won at the European Championship. Der Spiegel wrote in 2009 that Ratjen was born with ambiguous genitalia and was raised as a girl at the suggestion of a midwife.
    1968: International Olympic Committee begin comprehensive "gender testing".
    1972-1984: 13 women "fail" gender tests.
    1985: Spanish hurdler Maria Jose Martinez-Patino is told her chromosome test is abnormal. Martinez-Patino refuses to quit or feign injury, and further investigation reveals that a genetic condition meant she was insensitive to testosterone that was in her blood.
    2009: Caster Semenya is asked to take a gender test and the results are reported in the media.
    2014: Dutee Chand is banned from competing after results of a gender test.
    2015: Chand has her ban overturned and the IAAF rules requiring female athletes to take testosterone-suppressing medication are suspended for two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's an interesting case.
    According to reports [...] the medical tests have established that she has no womb or ovaries and that she also has internal testes – the male sexual organs responsible for producing testosterone.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...ests-show.html

Apparently she has 3 times the amount of testosterone in her system.
    This gives her a proven advantage over other female athletes.

It showed those with naturally high-occurring testosterone levels enjoyed an advantage of between 1.8 and 4.5 per cent over their rivals.

In the 800metres, Semenya’s No1 event, the advantage was 1.8 per cent while over 400m athletes were able to go 2.7 per cent faster.
    In order to counter this natural advantage, the IAAF ruling will force Caster Semenya to take testosterone-suppressant drugs.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/iaa...-a3823181.html

I'm no endocrinologist, but given she has had 3 times the testosterone since birth, her muscles will be far better developed than any female athlete could hope to achieve.
    Will taking testosterone suppressants now really make much of a difference ?