Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Labour Candidate for Waterford

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Labour Candidate for Waterford

I notice that Cllr Seamus Ryan has thrown his hat in the ring and is now seeking the nomination for the by-election. Would i be right in assuming that whoever gets the nod for the by-election will actually be the second candidate for labour at the next general election??

is Seamus Ryan Labour's best bet in Waterford?? (i actually think he is!)
    Labour have no one special based in the county. Ger Barron is about the best bet if they want to stand a county-based candidate.

what do ye reckon?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ciara Conway a councillor From Dungarvan has declared an interest in running I'm told.
    I believe she's young, articulate and geographically well placed to challenge for a seat and of vouse she's female!

Shed be a good choice for bye election and good running mate for o shea or ryan if he runs.

I also hear that John Halligan could yet be the surprise Labour candidate -
    so who knows??

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

to put an end to this. John Halligan is not joining Labour nor has he ever wanted to join Labour.

Gilmore made an approach but Halligan told me no straight away.

local Labour members have also told head office if Halligan is appointed as their candidate then they will resign from the party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any chance John Deacy might defect ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    any chance John Deacy might defect ?
    IN relation to defections actually heard a very interesting bit of gossip lately, wouldn't think there's much truth in it myself, but seemingly a former FG Dungarvan area poll topper on the county council is getting very ambitious and looking to jump ship..knows he will never get on the ticket while Deasy around... as this councillor seemingly thinks he has the town of Dungarvan sown up he's looking for a new home...only problem is nobody wants him

Quote Originally Posted by jabbers View Post
    to put an end to this. John Halligan is not joining Labour nor has he ever wanted to join Labour.

Gilmore made an approach but Halligan told me no straight away.

welcome aboard Eamon!

Seriously though, while I'm obviously slow to write off a statement of fact made on the internet, I think we can assume there's a while to go before the final decision is made on this. Halligan would lose the bye-election to FG if he ran as an independent, and LP would also lose with someone else. If he ran for LP, however, he'd win (IMO), and would be well placed to bring in a second LP seat in the ensuing GE (and probably be the sole outgoing LP TD the following GE when O'Shea retires). This doesn't make it certain, or even likely, necessarily, but to say it couldn't happen, particularly given the circumstances of his becoming an independent, is nonsense, it's certainly a possibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    This doesn't make it certain, or even likely, necessarily, but to say it couldn't happen, particularly given the circumstances of his becoming an independent, is nonsense, it's certainly a possibility.

can you explain this extraordinary piece of tautology please?
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Podolski1.5 View Post
    I think the point being that you shouldn't trust something from an anonymous poster on an internet forum, and that it is still quite possible that Halligan would run for labour, though I can't see it happening personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Podolski1.5 View Post
    ummm ... he said it couldn't happen. I said that while it may not be certain, or probable, it could happen, so s/he's wrong.

not sure why this would be tautology, though..... perhaps you'd like to explain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    ummm ... he said it couldn't happen. I said that while it may not be certain, or probable, it could happen, so s/he's wrong.

not sure why this would be tautology, though..... perhaps you'd like to explain?
    Perhps I just meant it was an extremely confusing sentence.
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast