Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haiti - 6 months on

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Haiti - 6 months on

It seems government bureaucracy is one of the biggest obstacles to reconstruction in Haiti.

An interesting article by Lara Marlowe which kind of shocked me by how little has actually been done there and how much is left to do.

An official from an Irish NGO has described the Haitian government as “the biggest obstacle to reconstruction”. The problem seems to be ineptitude and bureaucracy more than corruption. It takes months for an aid organisation to register with the government, which has been known to lose files. Until government approval is granted, all NGOs must pay a 30 per cent tax on everything brought into Haiti.

Former US president Bill Clinton is both the UN’s special envoy for Haiti and the co-chair of the Interim Commission on Reconstruction, with the Haitian prime minister Jean-Max Bellerive. The commission’s first nine-hour meeting here last month accomplished nothing. Clinton has since told development officials privately he has serious doubts about the Haitian government’s ability to oversee reconstruction.

“You can’t bypass the government, because it leads to anarchy,” cautions Brendan Rogers, the head of Irish Aid, who accompanied Power.
    Haiti beset by rubble and state ineptitude - The Irish Times - Tue, Jul 06, 2010
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Not a surprise. The place was a wreck before and it's a wreck after. A few people suggested that foreign aid givers demand guarenteed power to fix the situation prior to giving the assistance and they were called imperialist monsters etc. Here's the result.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Given the problems which have been highlighted and what seems like a terrible reluctance on teh part of the Hatian Govt to address them, to me at least, it doesn't look like any foreign aid effort will result in anything but a band-aid on a very deep wound.

I had though previously that if one positive thing were to come from this disaster it would be that the Haitian people would be given a much needed lift out of terrible poverty by the legacy of the reconstruction by foreign aid organisations. That doesn't look like it will happen now.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ironically the initial aid effort was very effective as the government was non functioning, recently I heard aid agencies have come up against it now that the government is getting on it's feet and starting to tax aid vehicles- oxfam and merlin have vechicles stuck in customs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How The Red Cross Raised Half A Billion Dollars For Haiti

A fairly shocking list of incompetence and waste in the US Red Cross.

They raised $500m for Haiti's reconstruction and built... 6 houses. Huge amounts were spent as 'overhead' on management and consultants in Washington. Other money was spent on 'handwashing' infomercials, at a time when Haitians were dieing from a lack of clean water. Those Americans who were sent to Haiti as 'project managers' cost upwards of €140k/year, while local engineers were paid a fraction of that.

"while Red Cross says it provided more than 130,000 people with homes, that includes thousands of people who were not actually given homes, but rather were “trained in proper construction techniques.”"

The US Red Cross doesn't publish full accounts, but insiders have estimated that up to 50% was spend on 'overheads' which included US based consultants. The rest doesn't seem to have achieved much in Haiti either.
    Last edited by seabhcan; 5th June 2015 at 02:09 AM.

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post

They raised $500m for Haiti's reconstruction and built... 6 houses. Huge amounts were spent as 'overhead' on management and consultants in Washington. Other money was spent on 'handwashing' infomercials, at a time when Haitians were dieing from a lack of clean water. Those Americans who were sent to Haiti as 'project managers' cost upwards of €140k/year, while local engineers were paid a fraction of that.

"while Red Cross says it provided more than 130,000 people with homes, that includes thousands of people who were not actually given homes, but rather were “trained in proper construction techniques.”"

The US Red Cross doesn't publish full accounts, but insiders have estimated that up to 50% was spend on 'overheads' which included US based consultants. The rest doesn't seem to have achieved much in Haiti either.
    I saw this too. At the same time I think those results probably say more about Haiti (a thoroughly dysfunctional hell-hole) than they do about the Red Cross.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. No prizes for guessing which is which. Two countries. Same Island. Same Climate. Same resources. Different political culture.

"It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post

And that's why I don't give money to chuggers. They're banned in one hundred English towns and cities, by the way.

There's whole industries built on 'charity' and the watchword is NGO . I know a few graduates of such a course who are praying for some disaster somewhere so they might get a juicy gig-seriously. It's sick.

At least the priests and nuns weren't in it for the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Send in the correct people, namely a well disciplined Army from the West to run the place for a couple of years and only then hand it over the local thugs and gangsters.

Every time I see some charity clown I see a private business selling guilt and remorse, I have to teach the kids that these private business's with tax exemptions have absolutely nothing to do with helping anyone only themselves so its best to ignore all of these scroungers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    This is the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. No prizes for guessing which is which. Two countries. Same Island. Same Climate. Same resources. Different political culture.

Reminds me of the fantastic PC game, 'Tropico'

I think you would love it kev.
    I love all the different cheeses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast