Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping John

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Helping John

take a look at this petition...

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/free-john.html

a new user wants this discussed but cant start the thread as they need 100 posts to do so...

i personally see no harm in starting it for them..

and my partner...who is a trainee psychiatric nurse...is interested in any opinions you may have....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Why was Mr Hunt sent to Carraig Mor ?

Was he a dangerous man ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah...theres questions to answer ok...im sure S A...the new user will be along to inform us...

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While an initial reading of that petition page would create great sympathy for John, the question still needs to be asked, why was he admitted to Carriag Mor in the first place, and why have medical professionals decided that it is in either his or the publics interest that he remain there.

If allowed out on day release or for longer periods, does John represent a physical danger to himself or the community at large ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There's an opinion piece written in the Cork Independent by one of his supporters. It's a little muddled but here it is:

The appeal for John Hunt - Cork Independent News
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ard Eoin, on behalf of John, his partner, his son, his mother, his brothers and sisters, his friends, his supporters, and all the other 'Johns' out there... thank you.

yeah...theres questions to answer ok...im sure S A...the new user will be along to inform us...

Yes.

Music of the Hour: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw2vBYBE24Y]The Killers ~ All These Things I've Done[/ame]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please help to Free John...

Background (Preamble): John Hunt is a trauma survivor with a diagnosis of 'paranoid schizophrenia'. He has spent over four years locked up in Carraig Mor psychiatric treatment centre in Cork city, Ireland.

He has been over-medicated on an array of psychotropic medications with dangerous adverse effects. He has had tardive dyskinesia, akathasia and has developed incontinence. His physical/ mental/ emotional/ spiritual health has been severely neglected and has deteriorated since being in Carraig Mor.

He has had no access to a rehabilitation team or psychotherapist and no day release in two years. There are no plans to rehabilitate John and return him to the community where he belongs. He is merely maintained and contained. John and his family have no voice in relation to his future. We are afraid that John's physical health is being damaged considerably. We cannot stand by and watch this happen any longer.

Source: Free John Petition
    ~ John is 28. He has spent the last 4 years in Carraig Mor high-security psychiatric unit under section in Cork city. He has a diagnosis of so-called drug-induced paranoid schizophrenia and has experienced terrifying psychotic episodes. He is on major neuroleptics/ psychotropic/ anti-psychotic medication with adverse effects (involuntary movements, extreme restlessness, lethargy, dizziness, vomiting, hallucinations, jaundice, diabetes, Parkinsonism, tooth decay, grey pallor, to name a few). ... Life in Carraig Mor is soul-destroying and the long-term use of toxic heavy medication is taking it's toll on John. He is 'maintained and contained' with barely any fresh air. He paces up and down the corridors, smoking.

Grainne Humphreys

~ John has committed no crime, those closest to him state that he is not dangerous and yet he has been incarcerated for more than 4 years against the wishes of himself and his family. There are no current plans to return him to his loved ones despite his immediate family offering total support and a planned package of care through EleMental with a psychiatric nurse and experts by experience willing to voluntarily be with and care for John.

Marion Aslan

The Mental Health Act of Ireland 2001 has given complete power to a treating consultant psychiatrist over John's life, he has the right to lock John up for the rest of his life. ... This law also gives the right to a treating psychiatrist to administer by force any or all medication they see fit, up to and including forced ECT and it is all legal under the Mental Health Act of Ireland. ...

His only semblance of a quasi court he has under this act is The Tribunals set up by the Mental Health Commission. These tribunals are held in secret, behind closed doors, they have the right to exclude all witnesses moral support up to and including the patients family. ... The patient/victim is brought before this tribunal in a highly drugged state, and expected to mount a defence.

John McCarthy

~ He has not seen the outside of the centre in over four years when he attended the christening of his now four-year-old son. The frustrated 29-year-old, who is a talented writer and artist, told the Cork Independent this week that he feels beaten: "The energy has been bullied out of me."

Christine Allen

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How did he get there? Is he there on a voluntary basis, through the courts or sectioned?

Have the family sought a judicial review of his placement there?
    "To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw this on Facebook and it has been on my mind since. It's easy enough to sign a petition but how many of us would take the decision to release someone with paranoid schizophrenia if it was really up to us? I mean if a doctor says he has the condition who are we to argue.

But really this is about power. On the one hand we have a mental health establishment who have complete power and on the other we have concerned people who care for the patient and are unhappy with his treatment. I'm going to sign because I want to give them support in raising the case. But I don't claim to know what the right outcome is Good luck to John and all those who care for him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cruimh: Why was Mr Hunt sent to Carraig Mor? Was he a dangerous man?

A valid question Cruimh. I'll do my best to answer it.

You'll note that John is identified as a victim of trauma -- he grew up in a household where violence was the norm. He often sought to protect his mother and younger siblings from his father -- in other words, he learned to defend himself and those he loved. As John grew up, he got into tussles -- both with his brothers and his mates although nothing serious. His first serious act of violence came at a point when he was being physically restrained. John was frightened, he sought to protect himself and he threw a punch, breaking one of his restrainers' nose in the process. If John's history is any more violent than that, I don't know about it. I have asked his partner, Grainne, to fully share with me any knowledge she's aware of in this regard and she has assured me that she has.

Meantime, perhaps it would be appropriate to introduce Grainne, John and their son, Josh...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIi2GoTePU]YouTube - The Incarceration of John - John, I love you, Sinead O' Connor.wmv[/ame]

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast