Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paper Thin Solar Panels-Good news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Paper Thin Solar Panels-Good news

This a Swiss company I have been keeping an eye on for the last three years. It is about to manufacture revolutionary ultra thin solar panels (the thickness of paper). These will be much cheaper than existing solar panels and can be integrated into building materials (e.g. roof tiles).

I have no connection with the company. This is just a very cool product.

Flisom: Products

Sounds great to me. I like experimenting with solar ovens and suchlike.

Will keep my eye on the developements now.

If farmers can warm the soil with transparent plastic why not solar heated houses built incorporating these paper thin panels?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just recently had an appraisal for the installation of solar panels (x2) complete with corresponding boiler and flexible connecting hoses...apparently it would guarantee savings of 30% annually...these were raised in much the same way as a velux window..

final estimate....E9000...

anything that comes in cheaper and is flush with the tiles....will sell im sure!..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hardly good news for Irish people as solar photovoltaic power is completely uneconomical considering our standard of infrastructure and location. It's an appropriate technology in Africa, where most people are off-grid and there’s much more sunlight, but here it's a waste of cash.
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rubensni View Post
    Hardly good news for Irish people as solar photovoltaic power is completely uneconomical considering our standard of infrastructure and location. It's an appropriate technology in Africa, where most people are off-grid and there’s much more sunlight, but here it's a waste of cash.
    these days you dont need sunlight for solar power...day light carries the necessary ray...although strong sunlight would be better...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ard Eoin View Post
    these days you dont need sunlight for solar power...day light carries the necessary ray...although strong sunlight would be better...
    are you talking about heating or electricity generation?
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

are you talking about heating or electricity generation?
    yeah...sorry...i would be referring to home heating installations...

but i think my point about sunlight applies to any solar facility?....no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what I can gather this is revolutionary because it can be adhered to rooftiles and all exterior surfaces of buildings. Also in places like India the large part of the population cook on charcoal stoves which causes a lot of greenhouse gases to be released into the atmosphere not to mention depletion of wood sources. It is thought that this product would allow for replacement of charcoal burning.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ard Eoin View Post
    yeah...sorry...i would be referring to home heating installations...

but i think my point about sunlight applies to any solar facility?....no?
    Not really, no. Solar for home heating is quite economical, but solar PV (electricity generation) is very inefficient for these high latitudes.

Solar PV is unlikely to ever become cheaper than conventional power in Ireland, or across northern Europe. And so far as the move towards renewables solar PV is one of the most expensive ways to save a tonne of carbon dioxide, so even with a more realistic carbon tax solar PV is unlikely to be much use here.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not really, no. Solar for home heating is quite economical, but solar PV (electricity generation) is very inefficient for these high latitudes.

Solar PV is unlikely to ever become cheaper than conventional power in Ireland, or across northern Europe. And so far as the move towards renewables solar PV is one of the most expensive ways to save a tonne of carbon dioxide, so even with a more realistic carbon tax solar PV is unlikely to be much use here.
    ok...good to know...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast