Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HSE 'rotten culture of secrecy' Ombudsman

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down HSE 'rotten culture of secrecy' Ombudsman

Emily O’Reilly accused health chiefs of wasting public resources, operating in "a parallel universe" and frustrating her attempt to access vital family law records.

"I think there’s a huge issue around the excessive secrecy and legalism of the HSE. It strikes me that it is a cultural thing within the HSE," she said.
    Read more: Ombudsman attacks HSE?s ?rotten culture of secrecy? | Irish Examiner

I haven't seen a thread on this. If there is one, please forgive me.

Have the chiefs of the HSE no shame. With such 'secrecy' within the HSE, it appears they are looking out for themselves, RATHER than the welfare of their clientele!!!!
    Last edited by He3; 3rd July 2010 at 12:46 AM.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She has a point!! I work in the health service and one of the sacroscant issues is confidentiality! so i would suggest a change in legislation, once a patient/family waieve the right to confidentiality medical records etc. are then open to the public!

And HSE can talk on individual cases nothing makes my blood boil when I hear that they can't because It can often be a onesided case! Now I am not making any excuses for the health service mistakes are made! and by the way who is policing the ombudsman office?? are people/institutions getting a fair treatment??

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who is actually policing the ombudsman office? must send a query to them?

john moriarty

Maybe I'm being a bit picky,
    but a spokesman for the HSE
    confirmed my worst suspicions
    when he managed to describe
    patients as "service users".

Aine Kerr, today's independent
    Watchdog slams 'rotten' HSE's culture of secrecy - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two things here...

1. I read the report in full..http://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/Repor...0ENG.pdf...she outlines some of the cases relevant to the HSE, but nowhere in the report is it mentioned about being restricted by excessive legalism from the HSE, which surprised me...!

HOWEVER....

2.In defense of the HSE Prof Drumm goes on and on about the in camera rule being the issue. Most of the cases quoted were not child welfare cases, so his defense does not stack up!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Two things here...

1. I read the report in full..http://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/Repor...0ENG.pdf...she outlines some of the cases relevant to the HSE, but nowhere in the report is it mentioned about being restricted by excessive legalism from the HSE, which surprised me...!

HOWEVER....

2.In defense of the HSE Prof Drumm goes on and on about the in camera rule being the issue. Most of the cases quoted were not child welfare cases, so his defense does not stack up!
    I know that we are not allowed to divulge any issues in regard to individual cases! Bloody annoying sometimes! I personally think that once cases go public the medical record goes public! the HSE people can deal with the particular cases!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan View Post
    I know that we are not allowed to divulge any issues in regard to individual cases! Bloody annoying sometimes! I personally think that once cases go public the medical record goes public! the HSE people can deal with the particular cases!
    Aye..its a funny one though Jack...cos technically the records belong to the patient....but sure you know the hoops patients have to go through to get them!...so its the "when they become public" bit...that holds up everything!

The incredibly stupid bit of it is...that all research shows that the majority of patients that litigate do so because..
    1.They want a proper and timely apology.
    2.They want to find out what went wrong.
    3. They want to be sure that whatever went wrong does not happen again. and they want to be sure that lessons are learnt.

Its not hard..its not rocket science most of the time...but its not encouraged or fostered.
    The Madden report on patient safety is the best report on fostering a system of patient advocacy and safety and has largely been ignored...by the Minister,the DOHC, the HSE...and as a result the hospitals, GPs and every other health provider in the state...and that quite frankly is a disgrace!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

boo-boo

I am sure that the HSE isnt the only organisation who creates bureaucratic nightmares tangling persons up in nots trying to get information from them.

The Department of Social Protection is another organisation that will definately refuse to give you information or answers to complex questions and especially so when they know you are searching for answers that will definately hang them! They come up with the most stupid of reasons while attempting to justify maladministration! It does beg the question though do they think that we are all just willing to just accept whatever crap that they decide to speel?

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    The Madden report on patient safety is the best report on fostering a system of patient advocacy and safety and has largely been ignored...by the Minister,the DOHC, the HSE...and as a result the hospitals, GPs and every other health provider in the state...and that quite frankly is a disgrace!
    Why, do you think spidermom, has this report been ignored???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast