Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Methodist Church boycotts Israel

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Methodist Church boycotts Israel

Fury as Methodists vote to boycott Israel | The Jewish Chronicle

The Board of Deputies and the Jewish Leadership Council said the Methodists’ annual conference should “hang its head in shame” for passing a policy which calls for a boycott of goods from “illegal” Israeli West Bank settlements and blames Israeli occupation as the “key hindrance” to Middle East peace.

Jonathan Arkush, senior vice-president of the Board of Deputies, who witnessed the debate in Portsmouth, said afterwards: “It is hard to see how anyone genuinely concerned with the Middle East and interfaith dialogue can take the Methodist Church seriously.”

......................What an arrogant and rude response by the Jewish leadership council.

The methodists have a history of being principled, it was they who helped campaign to abolish slavery.
    Last edited by Aspherical123; 2nd July 2010 at 01:13 AM.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fair play to the methodists for sticking to their principles.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good on the Methodists for disowning an Apartheid regime. 65 yrs on, it is time to stop making the Palestinians pay for a European-Holocaust.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the response says more, its ok for the jewish leadership council to insult methodism, imagine if it was the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"David King, a delegate from Lancashire and one of a number of speakers at the debate who raised Jewish concerns, noted “a rise in antisemitic activity in the UK”

Ah, the old ones are the best, turn a boycott of a nations goods into a sectarian matter.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aspherical123 View Post
    I think the response says more, its ok for the jewish leadership council to insult methodism, imagine if it was the other way around.
    Indeed. Some Zionists believe they are above criticism being 'the Chosen People'. Hence the arrogance and the tendency of some (not all) Jews to justify the stereotype of being proxies for a foreign state.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    Indeed. Some Zionists believe they are above criticism being 'the Chosen People'. Hence the arrogance and the tendency of some (not all) Jews to justify the stereotype of being proxies for a foreign state.
    In contrast the methodists have a history of being principled, it was they who helped campaign to abolish slavery.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the Methodist Church we have always sought to act in the interests of social justice. We don't always get it right, but we're committed to trying. This is the right decision. I have many friends who are Jewish - in fact there is a long history of Jewish attendance at the sole Methodist school in this state (including a former President of Israel). The Methodist Church was, at a time in Ireland's history, one of the few educating bodies who was prepared to welcome Jewish children. However, that welcome should be to all people, the motto of the Methodist Church is to be "friends of all and enemies of none". The Methodist Church is not an enemy of the State of Israel. However, it must not be seen to be tacitly or in any other way supporting the behaviour of the State of Israel which has descended from questionable, to poor, to criminal. This is a bold move by the British Conference, one which has been brewing for some time. I hope that a similar resolution will be passed at the Irish Conference next year. Let this not be spun by a lie of anti-semitism. Our leaders are more than happy, and do on all occasions, engage with peoples of all creeds in a neighbourly manner. We have done for many many years in respect of the Jewish community and will continue to do so. I only hope that the Jewish community will also see fit to say that enough is enough from the Israeli political elite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    In the Methodist Church we have always sought to act in the interests of social justice. We don't always get it right, but we're committed to trying. This is the right decision. I have many friends who are Jewish - in fact there is a long history of Jewish attendance at the sole Methodist school in this state (including a former President of Israel). The Methodist Church was, at a time in Ireland's history, one of the few educating bodies who was prepared to welcome Jewish children. However, that welcome should be to all people, the motto of the Methodist Church is to be "friends of all and enemies of none". The Methodist Church is not an enemy of the State of Israel. However, it must not be seen to be tacitly or in any other way supporting the behaviour of the State of Israel which has descended from questionable, to poor, to criminal. This is a bold move by the British Conference, one which has been brewing for some time. I hope that a similar resolution will be passed at the Irish Conference next year. Let this not be spun by a lie of anti-semitism. Our leaders are more than happy, and do on all occasions, engage with peoples of all creeds in a neighbourly manner. We have done for many many years in respect of the Jewish community and will continue to do so. I only hope that the Jewish community will also see fit to say that enough is enough from the Israeli political elite.

Here, Here.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Terry Eagleton referred to the spread of Methodism in the North of England as 'terrorism " !!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast