Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Roche claimed 50k in mileage but based 20km from Dublin city centre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Dick Roche claimed 50k in mileage but based 20km from Dublin city centre.

The Minister of State with special responsibility for European Affairs at the Department of Foreign Affairs, Dick Roche, claimed over 50,000 in mileage expenses from his Department over two years the highest total mileage claim of anyone at the Department over that period.

The Department press office said as far as it was aware Mr Roche does not employ the services of a driver and does not have a ministerial car at his disposal. Mr Roche is based in Bray, Co Wicklow, 20km from Dublin city centre.
    read the full article
    Dick Roche claimed ?50k in mileage in two years The Story

But i remembered back on 2008 when he was robbed i distinctly remember he had a driver

The minister told the robbers that they had the wrong man but his driver was ordered out of the car and both were marched into the hotel
    Irish Minister Dick Roche held at gunpoint in hotel robbery - Times Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

n 2007 it emerged that many junior ministers were claiming large amounts of mileage:

THE current system of paying junior ministers’ mileage has been described as a “farce” after it emerged a TD in Dublin claimed 100 times more in petrol expenses than a TD in Galway.

Figures seen by the Irish Independent show that Noel Ahern, who represents Dublin North West, ran up mileage expenses of €19,710 last year and €20,390 to date this year.

This is 100 times more than the €190 which was claimed last year by Noel Treacy, who represents the people of Galway East.

But last night, Mr Ahern claimed the figures supplied by the department about Mr Treacy were “ridiculous” and “wrong”. He said he is usually at the lower end of claims when a full list is compiled adding: “I don’t think that (€19,710) is necessarily that much.”

Figures show the Department of the Environment — which is headed up by the Green’s John Gormley — has covered the most road miles.

The biggest claim last year was lodged by Cork’s Minister of State for Environment, Batt O’Keeffe — who ran up a travel bill of €62,638 and has already run up expenses of €32,240 so far this year.

Dick Roche claimed ?50k in mileage in two years – The Story

Ministers miles apart with 'farcical' expenses - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    read the full article
    Dick Roche claimed ?50k in mileage in two years The Story

But i remembered back on 2008 when he was robbed i distinctly remember he had a driver

Irish Minister Dick Roche held at gunpoint in hotel robbery - Times Online
    As a junior you get half a car which I think means you buy the car but get the driver.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    As a junior you get half a car which I think means you buy the car but get the driver.
    If he can claim 50K in mileage, the State buys his car!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    If he can claim 50K in mileage, the State buys his car!
    The state would organise ads for TDs of Mileage for Gold!
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    You get 2 drivers !!! Junior Minister of State John Moloney employs his son and 1 other driver

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    You get 2 drivers !!! Junior Minister of State John Moloney employs his son and 1 other driver
    Well regardless of all the other issues around this, you have to consider the employment conditions of the driver. The Minister might decide he wants to be going from place to place from 8am to 10pm seven days a week, but that doesn't mean the same driver should have to work hours like that.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah sure he works hard and he deserves it.
    Economic Left/Right: -9.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.62

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Well regardless of all the other issues around this, you have to consider the employment conditions of the driver. The Minister might decide he wants to be going from place to place from 8am to 10pm seven days a week, but that doesn't mean the same driver should have to work hours like that.
    I'm sure his Son gets the handy shift

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Figures show the Department of the Environment — which is headed up by the Green’s John Gormley — has covered the most road miles.
    hahaha! green agenda my hole!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast