Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Man in prison for a year for not agreeing to marriage separation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Man in prison for a year for not agreeing to marriage separation

Has anyone heard about the case of Maurice Lyons who will be in Portlaoise prison a year tomorrow for not agreeing to the break-up of his marriage?

Regardless of whether one thinks he is right or not, it seems preposterous that he can be jailed indefinitely despite not having committed any crime. Apparently a year ago tomorrow police bust down his door and dragged him off to prison on the orders of a judge where he remains today:

From the Men's Council

Maurice has been deprived of his liberty and contact with his children for the past twelve months but his faith and love for his children have kept his spirit strong. He has - with great difficulty due to the lack of opportunity within the prison regime - put together an appeal against this violation of his Family and the institution of Marriage and he will be in the Supreme Court on the anniversary of his imprisonment (at 11am on Friday 2 July) for the penultimate step in showing that the courts are acting unlawfully where they apply the Judicial Separation Act in a "unilateral" "no-fault" way. His appeal will show that the Constitution and the law permit such a Decree to be issued only where BOTH Spouses have given up on their commitment to the marriage and are closed to its reconciliation.
    What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am guessing, just guessing now, that there is another side to his story than his...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    I am guessing, just guessing now, that there is another side to his story than his...
    Me suspects you might be right.
    Economic Left/Right: -9.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.62

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No doubt but imprisoning someone for following their conscience in a non criminal matter seems an absurdly disproportionate response.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would seem that he's being held in contempt of court, which is fair enough. He seems to be under the impression that if he does not agree to the separation agreement, that it is unenforceable (as he is still open to conciliation). However, if doesn't matter if he's open to conciliation, if his wife's not. No matter how much one party wants something, there's no chance of conciliation if the other party is dead set against it.

He seems to be challenging the constitutionality of the '89 and '95 Acts on the basis of Article 41. He hasn't a snowballs chance, to be honest.

This is what I've pieced together from the limited results google has.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I hadn't heard about this case but if he had been a transvestite struggling for the right to wear a burka we'd all be familiar with his case by now.

I can find nothing about the case in the mainstream media but there's some info on it here.
    Very disturbing report. The silence of journalists is even more worrying.
    "Were entering an era of outsourced censorship, where the terrible things once done by the state are now done by Silicon Valley suits."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungLiberal View Post
    It would seem that he's being held in contempt of court, which is fair enough. He seems to be under the impression that if he does not agree to the separation agreement, that it is unenforceable (as he is still open to conciliation). However, if doesn't matter if he's open to conciliation, if his wife's not. No matter how much one party wants something, there's no chance of conciliation if the other party is dead set against it.

He seems to be challenging the constitutionality of the '89 and '95 Acts on the basis of Article 41. He hasn't a snowballs chance, to be honest.

This is what I've pieced together from the limited results google has.
    But how can a person be forced to "agree" to something?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    I hadn't heard about this case but if he had been a transvestite struggling for the right to wear a burka we'd all be familiar with his case by now.
    I hate to be the one to break this to you but transvestites already have the 'right' to wear a burka...

If he wants his freedom then all he has to do is purge his contempt and accept the court's decision. This is a democracy and the rule of law applies to all, conscience or no.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Almanac View Post
    But how can a person be forced to "agree" to something?
    I am sure that what is required is mere acceptance of the court ruling. He doesn't necessarily have to agree to it.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast