Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gormley faces US quiz for holding up 600 jobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gormley faces US quiz for holding up 600 jobs

EMBATTLED Environment Minister John Gormley last night came under intense pressure to explain why a €350m project that would create 600 jobs is being held up -- as unemployment rose to a record high.
    Mr Gormley's handling of the job-rich Poolbeg incinerator development in his own constituency has prompted the US Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney to demand a face-to-face meeting with the Green Party leader.

The revelation of so many potential jobs being delayed came as new live register figures yesterday revealed there are a record 452,882 people out of work.
    The American-Ireland Chamber of Commerce has also expressed concern about the possible damage to Ireland's "solid reputation for being business friendly to foreign investors".
    Gormley faces US quiz for holding up 600 jobs - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Would be interesting to see how Gormley explains this to the US ambassador.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the US Ambassador is taking an interest it is solely because there is a prospect of significant profits flowing to a US company.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Taoiseach should show leadership here and if Gormley does not step up to the mark the Greens should be told to take a hike or get on their bikes and we should have an election to clear the air

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The thread title implies Gormley will be hauled before a Congressional committee. Disappointed to hear it's only a chat with the Ambassador.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    If the US Ambassador is taking an interest it is solely because there is a prospect of significant profits flowing to a US company.

That usually happens with US investment overseas, the trade-off here being some much-needed jobs. An issue that none of the partners in government have shown any interest in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's a reasonable thing for the ambassador to enquire about. It's a US company that's applied for a licence to conduct business and passed every regulatory and legal requirement. And it's been held up for no apparent reason other than "one member of government doesn't like it".

Now that's the perogative of the Irish govt, but it's something American business and government are entirely entitled to observe and say "Ireland? Not such an easy place to do business. Let's go elsewhere"
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Wow shocker foreign ambassador takes interest in relationship between host government and a company from his country. Prospect of profits main motivation, amazing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't there a question about a dodgy contract which means Dublin City Council have to pay the incinerator people a large fine if they fail to supply a certain amount of waste for burning? And is it not now the case that those projected waste volumes are too high?

F me, I've been jumping to John Gormley's defence all morning in various threads. I don't even support the government. It's a bit worrying that I'm alone (so far anyway).
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    The Taoiseach should show leadership here and if Gormley does not step up to the mark the Greens should be told to take a hike or get on their bikes and we should have an election to clear the air
    Sure. Let's see the same kind of leadership which resulted in hundreds of engineering jobs go to Scotland and Germany.

Gormley has had a good week. He's banned Stag hunting and looks like he's about to ban jobs too.

I think Gormley is looking for political cover. He wants the opp parties to start shouting about the jobs so he can go into the election saying that his constituency opponents demanded he release the license. That's some fine leadership there Johnny.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having read the article no-one should be allowed to include construction jobs in press releases about job numbers in relation to new industries. The 500 construction jobs would be very welcome but they will only last for a very short time. I would be shocked if there were much more than 1000 labour years in the project. I wouldn't be at all suprised if there were less than 500.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast