Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The famine, time to peel away the myth

Default The famine, time to peel away the myth

Is it about time that we stop going on about how those bloody brits caused so much hardship during the potato famine of the 1840's?
    Afterall it was irish landowners who turfed the poor peasants of the land and directly profited from their misfortune.

I am sick and tired of us Brits getting smashed round the head over this.

For too long the irish nation has had a chip on their shoulder, they should think of the positives that the famine brought ie emmigration to the new world and a better life.

I dont want to rub in salt into anceient wounds but the myths need to be blown away on this subject.
    "in July 1940 the IRA leadership issued a statement [which] made clear that if "German forces should land in Ireland, they will land ... as friends and liberators of the Irish people".

Is this a windup?
    "they should think of the positives that famine brought"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldnt call what happened in the 1840s "The Famine" - after all it was just one of a series of up to 22 famines that occured between 1720 and 1860. It would be more accurate to describe it as the most successful instance of England's Genocide of the Gaelic Nation, which began in ernest during the reign of Elizabeth I. As the poet Spencer wrote, English swords could never kill enough of the Irish - famine was the only truely effective implement of extermination.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael
    I wouldnt call what happened in the 1840s "The Famine" - after all it was just one of a series of up to 22 famines that occured between 1720 and 1860. It would be more accurate to describe it as the most successful instance of England's Genocide of the Gaelic Nation, which began in ernest during the reign of Elizabeth I. As the poet Spencer wrote, English swords could never kill enough of the Irish - famine was the only truely effective implement of extermination.
    Where do you get your knowledge of history from? The cartoon section of An Phoblacht?
    Nill illigitimi carborundum - don't let the b*stards get you down.

Economic Left/Right: -4.13
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyser
    Quote Originally Posted by Cael
    Where do you get your knowledge of history from? The cartoon section of An Phoblacht?
    If I hear of any secondhand brains for sale I will let you know Anal-yser, but you are probably happier, as you are, without one.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The famine, time to peel away the myth

Quote Originally Posted by red white blue and green
    Is it about time that we stop going on about how those bloody brits caused so much hardship during the potato famine of the 1840's?
    Afterall it was irish landowners who turfed the poor peasants of the land and directly profited from their misfortune.

For too long the irish nation has had a chip on their shoulder, they should think of the positives that the famine brought ie emmigration to the new world and a better life.

I dont want to rub in salt into anceient wounds but the myths need to be blown away on this subject.
    ... just remind me again when the last time was that the Irish people en masse "went on" about the Famine.? I think that, for whatever it was worth or not, once Blair's govt did a bit of an apology and (some of) the Irish became a bit richer recently, most of the ill feeling has died away.... so why are you whinging tonight?!?
    "To stand inquiring right, is not to stray,
    To sleep, or run wrong is"
    - John Donne

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anmajornarthainig
    Is this a windup?
    "they should think of the positives that famine brought"
    Yep, looks like yous have been Pogo-ed...don't worry the effects will wear off.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand

... just remind me again when the last time was that the Irish people en masse "went on" about the Famine.? I think that, for whatever it was worth or not, once Blair's govt did a bit of an apology and (some of) the Irish became a bit richer recently, most of the ill feeling has died away.... so why are you whinging tonight?!?
    Your right, most Irish people today would rather rattle on about property prices and the so called "Celtic Tiger," than remember the slavery and genocide their ancestors faced. In fact, a lot of them would like to pretend that it never happened, and that the English were always our best friends. Such pathetic delusion must be quite rare in the word?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice try but your obvious attempt to wind up some irish people is pathetic.
    Go grab some war drums and dress up like a clown and march through some catholic old age pensioner area.

This post doesnt surprise me, there is absoloutly no limits whatsoever to what unionists will deny.

The only thing that i believe resembles this ludacris denial on the same scale would be this eejits comments ......

" The Americans have all been defeated Iraq is safe "
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has always been the same - just after the famine the Marchioness of Derry had inscribed on the Cut Rock below Garron Point a rambling drivel - emulated here by her (political) descendants - about how good the English were providing people with work schemes during the famine and so on.

Good taste prevailed during the war in independance and someone chiseled most of it out
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast