Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Family Staycation Attractions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Family Staycation Attractions.

With the school holidays beginning in earnest and with more people having to find inexpensive ways to amuse their children at home this year, I thought it might be worth having a thread listing attractions that entertain families without costing a fortune.

Here's a few that I've found good over the years.

All children seem to enjoy the museums especially the Natural History museum. These are free although donations are welcome, so train/bus fares are all the expenditure needed.
    National Museum of Ireland

There are some free excellent playgrounds for smaller children such as Newbridge House in Donabate, which also has an open children's farm costing 10 for a family. (It's discrete so if you just want the free playground your smallies won't know the farm is there.) I can also vouch for the playgrounds at Malahide Castle and Ardgillan Castle.
    Dublin Tourism - Parks & Gardens - Newbridge House and Farm

I like the Reynoldstown Farm open farm at Naul as well. It's more rough and ready but it has a lot of charm. I don't know what they are charging these days. They also have a poultry sale in September and I got a gorgeous couple of sussex hens there before.
    Reynoldstown Farm - Home

There used to be a Butterfly Farm near Swords which sadly has closed. However there is one at Straffan, Co. Kildare and if it's anything like the Swords one it would be a magical experience for children and adults alike.
    25 for a family of five.
    Dublin Tourism - Parks & Gardens - Newbridge House and Farm

Another attraction I enjoyed with one of my children was the Viking Splash.
    It is more expensive though at 60 euro for a family of five. Not suited to children who fear water but anyone else will love it. Seeing Dublin from the river is fascinating for adults too and I brought a visiting relative from the UK when I went.
    Viking Splash Tours - Dublin Sightseeing Tours ? Dublin Tours ? Dublin Attractions

If I think of any others I'll list them and I hope some of you will do the same. I need ideas - especially for older children and teens now that my baby has just graduated from National School.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're right, there's plenty of things to do for free/on the cheap in Ireland. We neglected them during the tiger years but you found lots of our immigrant population enjoying such places rather than spending all their time in the shopping centre (just put off a certain section of p.ie posters now...).

Regarding Newbridge, it is possible to walk around the farm and see all the animals for free, never even knew about a €10 fee. Also they have a section filled with deer in another area of the park.

I recommend Ard Gillan near Balbriggan - another great (free) kids playground with stunning views from Skerries right up to the Mourne mountains.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Botanic Gardens ...free and utterly beautiful (and a friend just told me the tour of Glasnevin graveyard is excellent...not free though)

And watch out for the "Rose Festival" in St Annes park ..... one of my never miss events
    Remarkably uncorporate , low key and friendly day out (with a small country fete vibe in Dublin) with free guided tours of the rose garden (largest enclosed rose garden in Europe!) by the Gardeners ........ if that doesn't grab the kids attention its a short stroll to beautiful Dollyer (where you can watch the kite surfers strut their stuff)

Alll free unless you grab a beshoffs and sit on the wall to eat it.....nice
    Last edited by brughahaha; 1st July 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love to take the kids to the Botanic gardens in the autumn, hundreds of thousands of leaves to kick into the air....spidey does it every year...mind you the scaries look aghast at me doing it now...which is even more fun!!!...
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Love to take the kids to the Botanic gardens in the autumn, hundreds of thousands of leaves to kick into the air....spidey does it every year...mind you the scaries look aghast at me doing it now...which is even more fun!!!...
    Ever time it around the "sculpture in context" exhibition ? usually october I think...some amazing things

Particularly remember some "swimmers" set in the grass like they were swimming across the lawn..... a lot of the stuff kids can climb inside or play with....highly reccomended (Im a big fan of the Bots!!!! any time of the year)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meant to say...cannot forget Kilmainham jail and collins barracks..both free...and the scaries love em...so has to be good!!

wicklow jail worth a visit...and if you're down in Wexford....the heritage park,(reasonable cost....would fill a good few hours)...johnstown castle....beautiful and a nominal cost
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The worst thing about staycations is the Irish Media negativity. If you can avoid that were fine

Newspapers, radio etc....reporting on the most recent Fianna FAIL .........up and the most recent HSE scandal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    Ever time it around the "sculpture in context" exhibition ? usually october I think...some amazing things

Particularly remember some "swimmers" set in the grass like they were swimming across the lawn..... a lot of the stuff kids can climb inside or play with....highly reccomended (Im a big fan of the Bots!!!! any time of the year)
    Aye....spidey dream would be to do the horticulture course in the Bots and work and be there everyday!!..but sigh..the bank manager and my patients call.....!

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could anyone recomend a good place to go camping with young child, With good facilities and plenty of safe cycle paths? We live in kerry so know about killarney park, and i am a fan of lough key (spelling?) near boyle. but can anyone recomend something closer?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    Botanic Gardens ...free and utterly beautiful (and a friend just told me the tour of Glasnevin graveyard is excellent...not free though)

And watch out for the "Rose Festival" in St Annes park ..... one of my never miss events
    Remarkably uncorporate , low key and friendly day out (with a small country fete vibe in Dublin) with free guided tours of the rose garden (largest enclosed rose garden in Europe!) by the Gardeners ........ if that doesn't grab the kids attention its a short stroll to beautiful Dollyer (where you can watch the kite surfers strut their stuff)

Alll free unless you grab a beshoffs and sit on the wall to eat it.....nice
    The Rose Festival is coming up soon. 17th and 18th July. St. Anne's Park Rose Festival, Raheny, County Dublin, Ireland St. Annes has a playground and lovely woodland walks as well.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast