Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107

Thread: Belfast - "One of the cheapest places in the world."

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Armagh
    Posts
    2,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Belfast - "One of the cheapest places in the world."

    This might seem like a complete lie to people from the north as wages are low and the prices dont appear cheap, but this could be another blow for the souths economy as the exchange rate and lower prices could continue to attract cross border shopping even after a tax hike.

    Belfast one of the least expensive places in the world - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

    London 17th most expensive on list
    Dublin 42nd on the list.
    Belfast 182nd on list.

    The Belfast Telegraph has spun this as a totally positive thing but it seems to ignore the elephant in the room, there is a direct link between crap cities and cheap cities!

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Northern Voice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Londonderry
    Posts
    2,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Good to see the capital of our country has yet to be completely our run by the greedy capitalist class hellbent on the ruination of ordinary people.
    Ulster Abu!

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co. Derry
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd have put Dublin much closer to London than that!

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So are you saying that Niamey (23) in Niger and Dakar (32) in Senegal are better than Dublin st333ve?? lol lol

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Armagh
    Posts
    3,471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by st333ve View Post
    This might seem like a complete lie to people from the north as wages are low and the prices dont appear cheap, but this could be another blow for the souths economy as the exchange rate and lower prices could continue to attract cross border shopping even after a tax hike.

    Belfast one of the least expensive places in the world - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

    London 17th most expensive on list
    Dublin 42nd on the list.
    Belfast 182nd on list.

    The Belfast Telegraph has spun this as a totally positive thing but it seems to ignore the elephant in the room, there is a direct link between crap cities and cheap cities!

    Spin is dead right, belfast is a terrible city no wonder its so cheap. Nothing special about it at all.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co. Derry
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsEvolution View Post
    Spin is dead right, belfast is a terrible city no wonder its so cheap. Nothing special about it at all.
    Hi now, they did build the Titanic in Belfast I'll have you know!

    Just a shame the incompetence of the ship builders caused it to sink! Which always makes me wonder why people in Belfast are so keen to celebrate being the city that built it.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member British Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Loyalist East Belfast, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    Hi now, they did build the Titanic in Belfast I'll have you know!

    Just a shame the incompetence of the ship builders caused it to sink! Which always makes me wonder why people in Belfast are so keen to celebrate being the city that built it.
    We're known for three things in Belfast:

    The Titanic - which sunk
    George Best - an alcoholic wifebeater
    The Troubles - when we killed each other for 40 years

    No wonder the tourists flock here!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    Hi now, they did build the Titanic in Belfast I'll have you know!

    Just a shame the incompetence of the ship builders caused it to sink! Which always makes me wonder why people in Belfast are so keen to celebrate being the city that built it.
    When the protestants were building the ship, the catholics were building an iceberg.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Still have peace walls up there = cheap.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member QuizMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    North Inishowen
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There's that one nice pub across the road from the Europa. The one with the booths. Got totally hammered there one night.

    Other than that, it's a city with no centrepiece, no attraction of note. The pair of disused cranes? Oh please.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •