Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blarney Stone gets the thumbs down

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Blarney Stone gets the thumbs down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aside from the hygience aspect - pretty vile in itself - the blarney Stone always struck me as a completely rubbish place to visit. No wonder visitor numbers are down. Can't see why anyone other than the stereotypical elderly Yank in plaid trousers would pay money to kiss a stone where thousands of mouths have been already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    Can't see why anyone other than the stereotypical elderly Yank in plaid trousers would pay money to kiss a stone where thousands of mouths have been already.
    I heard that's why less people are going to watch Lindsay Lohan movies.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm amazed that over 300,000 still visit it every year...
    "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor", Desmond Tutu

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's disgusting. Even if they made a half arsed attempt to wash it between customers it would be a better experience.
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

The Stone of Eloquence has attracted controversy in the past, with a newspaper reports suggesting it was a hotbed for the spread of disease and further accusations last year that the stone, implanted in the walls of the 15th-century castle, was not authentic.
    Not an authentic what ? Every stone is authentic isn't it ? Unless it's a fake stone ..

Or do they mean that kissing the stone may not really convey any special verbal powers ?
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All publicity is good publicity - another coup for a genuine (and underestimated) tourism success story.
    Starting with a passibly intact castle keep and the fact that the placename had passed into the English language, somehow this became a leading destination for US tourism. 300,000 visitors a year - even after a steep decline? How many attractions would want a problem like that?
    When did the Blarney Stone become the default name for Irish pubs in the States? How many are there now? Much of this probably had nothing to do with deliberate tourism promotion - but some of it did. Anyone care to delve into this from the perpective of cultural history or business history? Would make an interesting dissertation.
    It is easy to gripe at the (steep) entry price, and sad for the region to see the fall in visitor numbers. But the owners and promoters of Blarney have been hugely successful in putting the place on the map. We could do with more of this kind of success, now more than ever.
    Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.
    - J. Swift

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not a patch on The Holy Stone of Clonrichert.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

As my wise grand-daughter once pointed out to me. "It's called fun, grandad".

Yes I kissed the stone and obviously, lived.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes good post that. That reviewer probably had a bad hair day or something. And if there any health risks to kissing stone we would have found out by now

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast