Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: State spent over 1.7m Euro maintaining on one vacant office building!!

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Thumbs down State spent over 1.7m Euro maintaining on one vacant office building!!

    MORE than €1.7m has been spent maintaining a vacant office building, that was abandoned by one of the country's largest state agencies, in a prime area of Dublin.

    The Enterprise Ireland offices in Glasnevin have been lying unused since April 2008 when the organisation moved to an alternative location in Dublin.

    The Department of Enterprise said that the site was owned by Enterprise Ireland but that costs of at least €860,000 were being accrued annually.


    The cost of maintaining the site includes local authority rates of €620,000, security costs of €240,000, electricity and gas bills of €120,000 and general maintenance costs of €20,000.
    State spent over ?1.7m maintaining one vacant office building

    How many beds could be had for 1.7m Euros........schools.........SNA's????

    With services being slashed in parts of the HSE, this money could go a long way.

    Such waste, as described above, is a disgrace.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

    Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member jpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In Cork like
    Posts
    4,337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Has anyone else heard of similar examples of this mispractice out there?
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    State spent over ?1.7m maintaining one vacant office building

    How many beds could be had for 1.7m Euros........schools.........SNA's????

    With services being slashed in parts of the HSE, this money could go a long way.

    Such waste, as described above, is a disgrace.
    How are we all putting up with this wanton waste? What are we doing sitting on our collective asses and tolerating this total waste of our money? We just have to get rid of this useless shower of wasters-please ,there must be someone out there who can do something -I can`t --I am just an old grannie who can`t believe that the men of this country are such WIMPS! Do something for god`s sake.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Surely they're entitled to claim a rebate of the 620k rates as the building is vacant? All they've to ensure is they have a To Let/For Sale sign on the bloody thing.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A shameful waste. Think of all the Enterprise Ireland supported companies who would benefit from this office space, at no cost to the state?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,955
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by olamp View Post
    How are we all putting up with this wanton waste? What are we doing sitting on our collective asses and tolerating this total waste of our money? We just have to get rid of this useless shower of wasters-please ,there must be someone out there who can do something -I can`t --I am just an old grannie who can`t believe that the men of this country are such WIMPS! Do something for god`s sake.
    It'd be a hell of a question for SF or Labour to put down a question in the Dáil asking how much the State is paying for rents on buildings, whose contracts were signed in the expectation of de-centralisation
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member jpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In Cork like
    Posts
    4,337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    It'd be a hell of a question for SF or Labour to put down a question in the Dáil asking how much the State is paying for rents on buildings, whose contracts were signed in the expectation of de-centralisation
    Now that would be an interesting question to ask.
    Pity the hols are on the way.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The government pays more than €122m every year to property developers, private individuals and other companies for rental of offices. Among the biggest beneficiaries of the lease agreements – many of which run for up to 35 years and cannot be renegotiated – are developers Liam Carroll, Bernard McNamara and Jerry O'Reilly.
    State spent over ?1.7m maintaining one vacant office building
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

    Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpc View Post
    Has anyone else heard of similar examples of this mispractice out there?
    That is a really interesting question.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

    Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

  10. #10

    Default

    Majority of money being just transferred to other organs of the state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •