Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Historical World Cup/Soccer Questions?

Default Some Historical World Cup/Soccer Questions?

1. Was that Russian linesman who gave that non goal to England against West Germany really a soldier at Stallingrad?
    2. Did the ref in the Fascist Italy 1934 final really head the ball onto an Italian player to score?
    3. Why did Cruyff not play in '78. Rumour has it, he had been kidnapped in Argentina previously?
    4. Was there any tournament scheduled though obviously not played for 1942, I think the olympics for 1940 and 1944 had been awarded, I don't know where?
    5. Did the Republic accept and reject a free place in the 1950 finals?
    6. How bad was Videllas regime in Argentina, 1978?
    7. Has the bribery allegation in the 6-0 Argentina V Peru game been proven in 1978.
    8. According to the 'Talking History' programme on soccer recently, Scotland were superb in the 20s and 30s and if they competed in the 20s and 30s in a world cup would now have about 4 titles- comment!
    9. How good was the Wunderteam of Austria before enforced union in the Greater Reich?
    10. Were as has been suggested, The Argentinian teams of the 40s as good as Brazil 1970, but due to having no world cups to play in just developed by the 50s into the most cynical imaginable!
    11. My favourite of all time Brazil'82 where are those lads now? Did socrates play in ireland?
    12. When did Pele play here? Did Cruyff or Puskas ever play here?
    13. The miracle of Bern'54 - Did the Germans switch studs, were they taking 'smarties' and was Puskas' goal really offside?
    14. How badly treated was that returning Hungarian team?
    15. How badly treated was the returning North Korean team of '66?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great questions and am looking forward to reading answers from more informed posters. As for:

7. Has the bribery allegation in the 6-0 Argentina V Peru game been proven in 1978.

I read a Sunday Times article sometime in the 80s about drug use by the Argentina team. A doctor was saying he was pleading with one player in particular to stop popping pills before matches. There was a quote from a Peruvian player that Argentina seemed like crazed animals in the game, and the suggestion was that some of them were high as kites.

Can't confirm the strong claims for bribery.

sorry not to be of more use ...
    "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to dash, but on question one you have made a mistake, their was no non goal. Do not fall for the German conspiracy theories!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 - Cruyff recently told reporters that he was targetted for kidnapping while in Barcelona - he retired from international football because he wasn't right in the head afterwards
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The regime in Argentina was bad. Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Socrates never set foot in Ireland contrary to myth. Pele played a match in Ireland I think.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4. Was there any tournament scheduled though obviously not played for 1942, I think the olympics for 1940 and 1944 had been awarded, I don't know where?
    Brazil and Germany wanted to host but no host was decided

Toyko and London were supposed to hsot the 1940 and 1944 Olympics

3. Why did Cruyff not play in '78. Rumour has it, he had been kidnapped in Argentina previously?
    He retired from football the previous year after some people in barcelona had threatened to kidnap his family
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...sstory.sport15
    Last edited by apoch632; 25th June 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True or False...Germany wear Green because Ireland were the first team to play them after World War II? (ps. I know the answer!)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The very first question is flawed - the linesman was NOT Russian.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3740556.stm

(c.) P.ie

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    True or False...Germany wear Green because Ireland were the first team to play them after World War II? (ps. I know the answer!)
    False
    They played Switzerland and a few others before they played Ireland

Green is/was the colours of Saxony and the German FA no

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanad voter View Post
    The very first question is flawed - the linesman was NOT Russian.

(c.) P.ie
    Yeah correct! but "Russia" was synonomous with USSR until relatively recently. The linesman was from Azerbaijan and I think the REF was Belgian?

ps True or False...Germany wear Green because Ireland were the first team to play them after World War II? (ps. I know the answer!)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast