Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jolitics.ie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Jolitics.ie?

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Bebo founder Michael Birch is in Dublin today for the Dublin Web Summit, which will see over 500 business people attending. Mr B!tch says the Bebo story is really about competition and timing in the market.
    It may also be about proofreading.

Mr Birch is also starting up a new political social networking site called Jolitics. Launching soon, it will be issue based and not party based. Because of Bebo's success in Ireland, it will be one of its first markets.
    Jolitics.ie?

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0624/mibusiness.html
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a feeling that the Ie registry domain lot aren't too keen on sound alike domains.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Interesting choice of domains. It hasn't been registered in .ie and the .com site does exist in Alpha

Domain name: jolitics.com

Registrant Contact:
    Jolitics, Inc.
    Michael Birch ()

Fax:
    387 Tehama St
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    US

Administrative Contact:
    Jolitics, Inc.
    Jesse House (domains@monkeyinferno.com)
    Fax:
    387 Tehama St
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    US

Technical Contact:
    Jolitics, Inc.
    Jesse House (domains@monkeyinferno.com)
    Fax:
    387 Tehama St
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    US

Jolitics

Regards...jmcc
    Last edited by jmcc; 24th June 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Changing Beta to Alpha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's in private Alpha rather than a beta, have to wonder what format it might take.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    I have a feeling that the Ie registry domain lot aren't too keen on sound alike domains.
    It is an intellectual property rights issue in that Jolitics would not be allowed to register a .ie domain unless it has a US, Irish, UK or Community trademark and or significant connection with Ireland. Looking at the domain record for Jolitics.com, it is at risk of problems in that it only seems to be registered in .com and .co.uk at the moment. It is easier to register a .co.uk domain than a .ie domain.

A website targeting the Irish market has to have a .ie website as people are beginning to think in terms of .ie being the default Irish website extension.

From what I remember, the bebo.ie domain was cybersquatted by that Eubrowser pair and had to be recovered. If I had to guess, Birch may use his Bebo experience to build something along the same lines - social media being such a big thing at the moment.

Regards...jmcc
    Last edited by jmcc; 24th June 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

maybe he should have called it bolitics.com
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Podolski1.5 View Post
    maybe he should have called it bolitics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    It is an intellectual property rights issue in that Jolitics would not be allowed to register a .ie domain unless it has a US, Irish, UK or Community trademark and or significant connection with Ireland. Looking at the domain record for Jolitics.com, it is at risk of problems in that it only seems to be registered in .com and .co.uk at the moment. It is easier to register a .co.uk domain than a .ie domain.

A website targeting the Irish market has to have a .ie website as people are beginning to think in terms of .ie being the default Irish website extension.

From what I remember, the bebo.ie domain was cybersquatted by that Eubrowser pair and had to be recovered. If I had to guess, Birch may use his Bebo experience to build something along the same lines - social media being such a big thing at the moment.

Regards...jmcc
    Blowing our own trumpet here but surely touching base with the likes of DC to pick his brains about what running p.ie has been like would have been a sensible step to take, feck it I'll offer k.now solutions services for a reasonable consideration.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    Blowing our own trumpet here but surely touching base with the likes of DC to pick his brains about what running p.ie has been like would have been a sensible step to take,
    It would have been. But then Bebo was a popular website once.

feck it I'll offer k.now solutions services for a reasonable consideration.
    Don't forget to brand yourself as a Social Media consultant. Apparently it is the in thing amongst the Dublin Digerati at the moment. I just know a few things about domain names and am awed by their expertise.

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    It would have been. But then Bebo was a popular website once.

Don't forget to brand yourself as a Social Media consultant. Apparently it is the in thing amongst the Dublin Digerati at the moment. I just know a few things about domain names and am awed by their expertise.

Regards...jmcc
    I haff a tweeter account and a facebook one, so I'm well ahead of the curve on being a social media consultant! I will try and hide my background in actual computer engineering and working for companies that made real software as apparently knowing what goes on under the hood is a massive drawback in these days of sourcery magic, I mean social media. I will have a short lived column in a Sunday paper and a chaotic and mysterious awards show yet!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast