Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rudd resigns as Australian PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rudd resigns as Australian PM.

BBC News - Australia has first woman PM as Gillard replaces Rudd

Gives the Liberals a huge boost in regaining control of the government in their upcoming elections. Sad to see as I always liked Rudd and thought he always tried to do the right thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kevin Rudd Resigns: Australian Foreign Minister Quits | World News | Sky News

Rudd has now resigned as Foreign Minister, and may be preparing for a challenge to Gillard's leadership.

He is claiming that there has been a dirty tricks campaign against him. The leaking of this video (footage of Rudd swearing while trying to record a message in Chinese) seems to have helped to trigger his resignation:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

resignation speech (made during a visit to Washington DC):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sydney Morning Herald

It's on: Rudd strikes first

The Labor Party will undergo a leadership ballot on Monday morning after Kevin Rudd quit his post and flew back to Australia to challenge Julia Gillard for the job she took from him 20 months ago.

In a dramatic escalation of the turmoil that has paralysed the federal government, Mr Rudd stood down as Foreign Minister midway through a visit to Washington, just as Ms Gillard was preparing to sack him for disloyalty when Parliament resumed next week.

Read more: Rudd Resigns As Foreign Minister | Gillard To Call Ballot

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    Sydney Morning Herald

It's on: Rudd strikes first
    I think Julia will win this one. I laugh when her supporters are shouting that Rudd is being disloyal, after she ousted him in a really nasty caucus coup.

I like Rudd, though I have heard rumours he was very hard to work with when he was PM.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SMH readers' poll:

Who would you like to lead Labor?

Julia Gillard 14%

Kevin Rudd 42%

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

SMH readers' poll:

Who would you like to lead Labor?

Julia Gillard 14%

Kevin Rudd 42%
    Yeah, but that's not the Labor Party caucus, it's the public. I'd really like Rudd to oust Gillard in the party's open vote next week, though I think it's unlikely.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Yeah, but that's not the Labor Party caucus, it's the public. I'd really like Rudd to oust Gillard in the party's open vote next week, though I think it's unlikely.
    I think you're right.

Gillard due to speak about 5 minutes from now.
    She will probably call for a ballot.

Live coverage of crisis here: ABC News 24 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'm surprised Rudd decided to throw down the gauntlet while in Washington DC.
    It has gifted a big advantage to Gillard, who will spend the next 24 hours consolidating her support.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did any of you ever get the feeling that the political left has a highly superficial approach to intercultural sensitivity....
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think you're right.

Gillard due to speak about 5 minutes from now.
    She will probably call for a ballot.

Live coverage of crisis here: ABC News 24 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'm surprised Rudd decided to throw down the gauntlet while in Washington DC.
    It has gifted a big advantage to Gillard, who will spend the next 24 hours consolidating her support.
    Probably he resigned in an over-emotional moment, but at least any challenge this time is made in the open, unlike her plotting for weeks in secret to oust him. I am ashamed that Australia's first woman prime minister became the leader in the way she did.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast