Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is someone importing foreign €2 coin look-alikes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is someone importing foreign €2 coin look-alikes?

Has anyone else noticed the large number of foreign currency €2 coin look-alikes in circulation in Ireland? I've been caught a few times over the last few days.

Particularly common is the 10 Thai Baht coin, worth 20 cent, which looks identical to the €2 coin, and the South African 5 Rand coin which is worth 50 cent.

Suddenly, these coins are everywhere, which makes me suspect its an organised effort, rather than just change coming home in people's pockets.
    Last edited by seabhcan; 23rd June 2010 at 09:46 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought it was just me. I was had with the bottom coin.

Foreign mints should be more careful in what type of coins they issue and limit the opportunity for such scams. You would have to wonder about the thought processes of the officidom that decide to issue coins similiar in appearance to strong currencies.

Perhaps the EU should implement sanctions to stop the such scams, by cutting aid/bilateral agreements

Jaysus, I hadn't noticed. I'll keep my eyes peeled ..
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got caught with the two Baht coin in Tramore on Sunday.. no doubt it seems like it is organised if it is increasingly turning up around the country

Nice scam.. 10 times the upturn, and much less chance of it being noticed than a paper money scam.. just a lot more working laundering it
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by euroboy View Post

Foreign mints should be more careful in what type of coins they issue and limit the opportunity for such scams. You would have to wonder about the thought processes of the officidom that decide to issue coins similiar in appearance to strong currencies.

Perhaps the EU should implement sanctions to stop the such scams, by cutting aid/bilateral agreements
    Do you not think, Euroboy, that most (if not all) Euro coin look-alikes have been around a lot longer than the Euro. The Thailand ten-baht coin has been around since the late eighties and so has the South African 5 Rand coin.

Perhaps the geniuses that brought us the Euro should have made sure their coins were not similar to ones already in use elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by euroboy View Post
    I thought it was just me. I was had with the bottom coin.

Caught by the same one. Maybe the foreign mints issued their look-a-likes first.
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 5 Dirham coin from Morocco is another one which is similar (worth about 50c).
    But I'm not sure if I brought that back with me to resurface months later in a trouser or if I was handed it in a shop.
    Poxy vending machines know the difference.
    I gave up trying to pass it off in petrol stations with no luck.

Africa - Coins of Morocco

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Turkish Lirae as well...
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the point of this thread is to query if it's an organised thing or if there's a sudden marked increase in the practice. Not to compile a list of coins that look like other coins.
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, it must be an organised effort.

Each coin represents a slight profit for the gang, who also have to go to the trouble of passing them off by buying lots of things which cost much less than two euros.

They can then keep the change.

How much would a round trip to Thailand cost- around €1500 at the cheapest?

It's a genius plan. We're dealing with a criminal mastermind here...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast