Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would we be better off as the 51st State?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Would we be better off as the 51st State?

Just a broad question that struck me recently.

I know many people have ideological issues with the US in many areas but equally many people have ideological issues with the EU and even closer to home, with the current government.

Leaving them to one side - from a day to day perspective, would the Irish people be better off as the 51st state of the US than we are as a country within the EU?

Taxation wise - probably not hugely different. As a State we would operate our own budget anyway.

Policy wise - the US gives a lot of freedom to States to effect their own social policies, albeit with some overarching ones (abortion, gun control etc).

Employment - massive opportunity for Irish to travel and work in the US but more importantly as the entry point for US into Europe we would be a prime hub for US companies with EU customers.

Education - no massive change albeit a liklihood that there would be more transfers between US and Irish education facilities.

Health - the system can't get any worse - healthcare costs in the US are very high but I would think that State controls could be used to manage that risk and prevent spill over - the geographical distance would tend to prevent cost migration across State lines

Politics - all the focus would be on State politics - the national element would be gone. But how much of a real loss would that be ?

Statehood - gone. Again from a day to day perspective, would that make much of a difference?

Social identity - the US is far from Homogenous - individual States are just that so maintaining a sense of Irish-ness wouldn't be a major problem (we'd probably get federal assistance !!)

Yes - it's somewhat tongue in cheek but only somewhat. At many (non-idealogical) levels I reckon the current and future generations could actually benefit from our being positioned as a US State.

Any views in P.ie world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well on the one hand we do share more culturally with the US than we do with europe.

But on the other hand i don't think many people here support US Foreign Policy.
    485000 of US would get slaughtered by an american social welfare system.
    Our neutrality would be surrendered (which in isolation is no bad thing) and we would be the easiet target for terrorist attacks.
    We'd have to change to driving on the right.

We'd have to be patriotic and start watching baseball and saluting the flag and sh1t and thats just not how we roll...

And i don't think they'd have us.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by merle haggard View Post
    go away you silly student

Agreed, FF would never sell us off, far too patriotic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2015:
    President Sarah Palin pays a visit to Ireland today where she is expected to endorse the campaign of Jackie Healy-Rae for governor

Seriously... I like the US a lot, and do think we should be looking towards them. Three red lines that I'd like to see them improve on:

1) Waaaay less death penalties
    2) A moral foreign policy
    3) The Palinosaur and her ilk to quit it

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    2015:
    President Sarah Palin pays a visit to Ireland today where she is expected to endorse the campaign of Jackie Healy-Rae for governor

Seriously... I like the US a lot, and do think we should be looking towards them. Three red lines that I'd like to see them improve on:

1) Waaaay less death penalties
    2) A moral foreign policy
    3) The Palinosaur and her ilk to quit it

cYp

if your a citizen of a country you have a vote to change such things just like anyone else , your objections therefore arent a valid reason . The USA is also well capable fo taking that decision for Ireland whether we like it or not , just like its little british freind has and does where we are concerned .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If were a choice of becoming part of the U.S. or returning to the U.K., then I'd choose the U.S. every time. 35 million Irish Americans would come in handy when it comes to getting dollars from Washington, and with the state/federal legislative system, we'd keep far more independence than say Scotland has in the U.K.

As such an event is highly unrealistic, to say the least, I'll keep the E.U., the common market, and our independence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by merle haggard View Post
    if your a citizen of a country you have a vote to change such things just like anyone else , your objections therefore arent a valid reason . The USA is also well capable fo taking that decision for Ireland whether we like it or not , just like its little british freind has and does where we are concerned .

My point is that there would need to be improvement on those 3 matters before I'd vote to join

In the short term I'd prefer to rejoin the UK, as we're very well matched

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do people keep posting these ridicuolus questions. Its akin to the rejoin the UK or rejoin the commonwealth threads. Its not going to happen. Not without serious bloodshed. There is no way on earth this would happen without a significant amount of Irish people opposing it through force of arms. I would support those Irish people.

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    My point is that there would need to be improvement on those 3 matters before I'd vote to join

In the short term I'd prefer to rejoin the UK, as we're very well matched

cYp

i know theres a problem with an ash cloud from time to time but theres still a ferry and a noticable absence of icebergs . If the mountain wont come to mohammed and all that .

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast