Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are The Images Of The Celtic Tiger, Real Or Imaginary That Stick In Your Mind?

Default What Are The Images Of The Celtic Tiger, Real Or Imaginary That Stick In Your Mind?

3, one of them imagined come to me - 1 Covicted wife killer Joe o'Reilly - A jackeen chancer, whoose support systems all around him led him to believe he could get away with it! In non celtic pussy times he would not have risen, having little formal education, the way he did except as a mate pointed out in the church! Aspects such as trying to pin that atrocity on a worker he sacked and also after deliberately distorting the crime scene telling the guards ' Oh, I hope I haven't destroyed forensics for ye ' indicate a man with one hell of an inflated ego brought on by his support systems!
    2 I worked as a supervisor in a factory during part of it doing stuff for others. We gained a prestigious award and invited clients to the presentation, I was introduced by our storeperson to a ' lady' who was in management in the East County Galway based multinational Firm, where my line produce went. This disgusting redneck mucksavage completely snubbed me in the manner in which even a member of the old apartheid National party wouldn't dare snub a native under the old regime. Here was a clown well in her 40s who had learned nothing about how to relate to people and probably did not have much formal education, yet was in a managerial position in a multinational and probably had a nice farm with the husband as well along with no doubt occassionally enjoying the missionary position with him in the dark at night! By the way that multinational is long since gone!
    3 The imagined one, which no doubt happened many times - 2 borderline underclass neighbours, probably without anything beyond a primary cert between them, congratulating themselves that the council houses they bought for half nothing 20-30 years ago, in areas such as Shantalla and The Claddagh in Galway were now worth about half a million. This despite the fact they had done nothing with their houses other than maybe glazed windows, attic conversions, central heating, maybe a small extension, but definitely some wall hanging flower pots outside. Yet here they were in their own minds having a greater understanding of economics than Milton Freidman. A mate said his image was walking through our main shopping street hearing Christy blaring out 'Ordinary Man' from a music store and thinking how irrelevant to that time it was. It certainly has huge relevance in a lot of peoples' lifes now!!

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bertie doing his best to pretend, insinuate and down right lie about him and FF being responsible for the Celtic Chinchilla in the beginning, and then him, Cowen and Lenhina trying to pretend, insinuate and down right lie about being responsible for it consequences.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Orange fake tan!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think there are enough real reminders that don't even need to stick in the mind as people keep seeing them.

The Spire of Dublin, which some have called "pointless", probably stands more for the Celtic Tiger than anything else. Certainly it is the association I make anytime I see it.

The Celtic Tiger era has also made a defining mark on Patrick Street in Cork with those crazy Crane lights.

Limerick - unfortunately the main real reminder is a vast skeletal hulk on one of the main approach routes to the city - the unfinished Parkway Valley Centre, a piece of madness intended as the largest shopping centre in Munster.

I'm not really sure about Galway, maybe there isn't anything as iconic there.

Everywhere of course the main reminder is the ghost estates! Very depressing!

Gimpanzee

Snorting coke from a plank of decking held up by an Eastern European maid at a barbeque while wearing a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes on a trampoline on a yacht out the back of a McMansion with a jacks with two wash hand basins 50 miles from anywhere while listening to Dan McLoughlin on the iPod telling me I was loaded.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    Snorting coke from a plank of decking held up by an Eastern European maid at a barbeque while wearing a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes on a trampoline on a yacht out the back of a McMansion with a jacks with two wash hand basins 50 miles from anywhere while listening to Dan McLoughlin on the iPod telling me I was loaded.
    Was that a real or imagined image ????

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After I left school and got my first full time job when peole turned to me and said 'sure why dont you get a mortgage now that you have a job'.
    The cake is a lie.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1.Some lady who passed out in the bushes outside her bank in the IFSC being discovered by security and getting sacked.

2. The endless supply of foreign girls and the fact that decent grass was finally readily available in Dublin.

3. All those ditzy shows on RTE about 400 quid shoes.

4. The proliferation of shops that sold nothing of value except stuff like ribbons and fancy wrapping paper.

5. That report from NCB back in 07 that said we would grow steadily for the next 20 years.

6. Getting slammed by my fellow accountants for telling them that buying unfinsihed apartments in Bulgaria for a few hundred grand was silly.

7. Those idiots who bought SUVs and sprayed it with fake mud to make it seem like they were actually offroading.
    If once the people become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions.

Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's one that sticks with me. A gambler and a waster.

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast