Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Orthodox Jews in mass protest over school ruling

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Ultra-Orthodox Jews in mass protest over school ruling

AS if Israel hadn't enough problems with it's psychotic government and it's incompetent military, now ordinary Israelis have to put up with this;

Ultra-Orthodox Jews have staged one of the biggest protests seen in Israel, to demand their children be educated separately from other Israelis.

Police said 120,000 Ashkenazi Jews rallied in Jerusalem and near Tel Aviv.

They turned out to support parents who refused to let their girls share classrooms with Jewish pupils of Sephardic or Middle Eastern descent.

The Ashkenazi parents, who are of European descent, want segregated classrooms because they say Sephardi families are not religious enough.

Yakov Litzman, an MP from the ultra-Orthodox Ashkenazi party, United Torah Judaism (UTJ), told army radio there was "not a drop of racism" in the parents' decision.

"I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home."

BBC News - Ultra-Orthodox Jews in mass protest over school ruling
    How nuts is that?
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    AS if Israel hadn't enough problems with it's psychotic government and it's incompetent military, now ordinary Israelis have to put up with this;

How nuts is that?
    "I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home."
    Talk about feckin' fanatics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been watching for some time now to see the cracks show within Israel caused by the separate groupings of different Jewish belief systems, methinks this is just the beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have listened to NPR the American Public Radio station and they have done very interesting stories about this. One lady said that Jerusalem was becoming more like Iran. The Orthodox Jews want separate buses for men and women, now even separate Psychiatric hospitals. They even stone your car if drive on a Saturday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Screw em. Earn enough to send your kids to a private school, suck it up and go public or raise your kids at home. Some sort of kippah wearing 1960s Alabama isn't something to aim for in a modern educational system. Impressive that they were able to organise 2% of the jewish section of Israel to show up, that's the equivalent of 90,000 protesting on the streets here over something.
    Last edited by Sync; 19th June 2010 at 04:33 PM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is pretty nuts. Did she think the TV was going to somehow follow the girl to work and infect her daughter with it's modern ways? Out of interest, under Israeli law, is there anything stopping these people funding and opening a school where they could teach whatever ancient anti-TV dogma they like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its great to see that lunacy is shared on both side of the religous divide.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How will the Israeli propaganda machine deal with this one?
    I mean, I'd prefer my daughter to go to school with kids who don't have a TV in their bedroom. Maybe I should ask the government to start a school so people like me can be sure their daughters don't get to know such lowlife?
    And then, I'd like everyone to be vegans, so I'd like to government to start a school for kids of vegans, too.
    How about it folks, special schools for the kids of vegans who don't have tvs in their bedrooms.
    Maybe we could add a few more conditions so as to ensure purity in all senses.
    And then when we get our school, we could have a split over some huge issue like whether all the kids clean their teeth twice or three times a day!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Wrong Forum

Why is this not in Foreign Affairs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus View Post
    Why is this not in Foreign Affairs?
    Indeed. It should be in the 'Humour' section.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast