Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Election Posters

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Election Posters

Any one know what is the position with putting up election posters prior to the election being called......I see that some are already appearing in Tralee? :

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Election Posters

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    Any one know what is the position with putting up election posters prior to the election being called......I see that some are already appearing in Tralee? :
    They've been up numerous places and a few politicians have been stung for doing so, like Charlie O'Connor in South-West Dublin.

It is illegal to hang posters/billboards that say "Vote Number 1. for Candidate X" before the Dáil has been dissolved, AFAIK

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they are up all over the place in South Tipp, and have been for a month now. Currently it is illeagal to have them up, but no-ones doing anything about it.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    they are up all over the place in South Tipp, and have been for a month now. Currently it is illeagal to have them up, but no-ones doing anything about it.
    Maybe no one has reported them, or don't know that it illegal. Or don't know who to report it to.
    Isn't this the sort of thing that a vigilant and energetic SF local representative should be highlighting? All it takes is a phone call or an email.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gombeen
    Maybe no one has reported them, or don't know that it illegal. Or don't know who to report it to.
    Isn't this the sort of thing that a vigilant and energetic SF local representative should be highlighting? All it takes is a phone call or an email.
    Not if his posters are up to!
    Equality — It is new strung and shall be heard

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gaelach
    How inspiring! Is it the County Council who should be informed? (Don't worry ROC, I'm nowhere near South Tipp and I've no intention of addressing the issue there. Though someone else might if you're not careful.)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gaelach
    How inspiring! Is it the County Council who should be informed? (Don't worry ROC, I'm nowhere near South Tipp and I've no intention of addressing the issue there. Though someone else might if you're not careful.)
    Hold on now, I`m not saying they are up, I don`t know, Have never been to S.Tipp.

I Was only joking....
    Equality — It is new strung and shall be heard

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Election Posters

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    Under S19 of the Ltter Pollution Act, 1997, it is illegal to put up any poster in any public place, unless:

You have the permission of the owner of the structure
    The poster relates to a public meeting
    The poster relates to an election

The Act doesn't really define what 'relates to an election' means, but it is generally held that a poster cannot relate to an election unless an election has been called under one of the Electoral Acts.

A poster which relates to an election is also illegal if it remains in place 7 days after polling day.

Bottom line is that any political posters that are currently erected without permission of the owner of the structures to which they are attached are illegal.

But then again, the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 isn't worth the paper it is written on.
    The only way to change the world is to win elections.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They aren't up. I've no time for such illegal behaviour.

Yes, if you wish to make a complaint, you do so to the county council, under littering regulations.

However, a birdy down here told me, that the person who's in charge of taking them down, is an election worker for one of the candidates.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

However, a birdy down here told me, that the person who's in charge of taking them down, is an election worker for one of the candidates.
    Well the best way to deal with that is to make sure some of their superiors know about it too, so they can't conveniently 'forget' to enforce it. The more people who know about it and the fact that it's illegal, the harder it will be for the vested interests to ignore the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast