Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 223 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Sunday Killings ''UNLAWFUL''

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bloody Sunday Killings ''UNLAWFUL''

According to utv, quoting front page of tomorrows Guardian newspaper.

Also: prosecutions to follow, according to the article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ju...rthern-ireland

Thats the can of worms opened now so.
    Carson – the forefather of unionism, born and bred a Dub from Italian Catholic ancestory-Marjoribanks, "The Life of Lord Carson: Vol. 1", The Camelot Press, 1932

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bloody Sunday Inquiry Leak.UTV Live

A leak from the Guardian Newspaper.It is expected the the Bloody Sunday Inquiry has found that some of the Deaths were found to be unlawful killings.The findings of the inquiry are due to be published next Tuesday.A prominent Unionist has described the findings as like "throwing a live had grenade into the NI PPS".

<<MOD Thread merged>>
    Last edited by beanie; 11th June 2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: merge

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Henry McDonald is one of the Guardian Journalists who has received the information,obviously no sources have been named.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theobald View Post
    According to utv, quoting front page of tomorrows Guardian newspaper.

Also: prosecutions to follow, according to the article.

Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful | UK news | The Guardian

Thats the can of worms opened now so.
    Wow. Big news indeed.

Trimble sickens me, though:

On his warning to Blair, Trimble said: "I just reminded him that the Widgery report of 1972 concluded that the troops' behaviour, to quote from the report, 'bordered on the reckless'.

"Then I told the prime minister that if you moved from one millimetre from the that conclusion you were into the area of manslaughter, if not murder," he said.

"I pointed out to Blair that we would see soldiers in the dock. I told him that at the time of the talks leading to the Belfast agreement," Trimble said.

So what's the problem? If a 12 year investigation finds people likely guilty of manslaughter or murder, why should they not be in the dock? Trimble is blatantly warning that justice should not be served, if it finds British soldiers guilty. Disgusting.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiocfaidh View Post
    Wow. Big news indeed.

Trimble sickens me, though:

On his warning to Blair, Trimble said: "I just reminded him that the Widgery report of 1972 concluded that the troops' behaviour, to quote from the report, 'bordered on the reckless'.

"Then I told the prime minister that if you moved from one millimetre from the that conclusion you were into the area of manslaughter, if not murder," he said.

"I pointed out to Blair that we would see soldiers in the dock. I told him that at the time of the talks leading to the Belfast agreement," Trimble said.

So what's the problem? If a 12 year investigation finds people likely guilty of manslaughter or murder, why should they not be in the dock? Trimble is blatantly warning that justice should not be served, if it finds British soldiers guilty. Disgusting.
    I would expect nothing less from Mr Trimble.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trimble is a spineless, anti irish, arrogant limp-wristed unionist newt.

At least Paisley had balls.
    Carson – the forefather of unionism, born and bred a Dub from Italian Catholic ancestory-Marjoribanks, "The Life of Lord Carson: Vol. 1", The Camelot Press, 1932

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this is so I expect the British government will re-examine some of the findings of the Eames-Bradley report into dealing with the past. Clearly there is a double standard whereby former paramilitaries can be prosecuted but members of state forces effectively cannot.

I question the value of any prosecutions for pre-GFA activity. None of those found guilty will serve a day in prison. A Truth Commission (with the power to grant amnesty) would achieve more (and cost less!)
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I cant help but feel sorry for the relatives who have been so dignified up to now,they will be subjects of a media frenzy for the next few days.I hope the source of the leak is proud of themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There will be no convictions. Crucial evidence that could have secured convictions was destroyed just before the new enquiry commenced.

BBC News | NORTHERN IRELAND | Concern over Bloody Sunday guns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    There will be no convictions. Crucial evidence that could have secured convictions was destroyed just before the new enquiry commenced.

BBC News | NORTHERN IRELAND | Concern over Bloody Sunday guns
    True, but atleast the victims are vindicated and their families can now move on after getting closure.

I look forward to reading it. Will it be a case of trigger happy squaddies or were they acting on orders from upon high, who wanted to teach the ingrates 'a lesson'
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 223 123451151101 ... LastLast