Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 89 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hawking on Religion: "Science Will Win"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Stephen Hawking on Religion: "Science Will Win"

Last edited by Da Da Bert; 2nd August 2011 at 07:49 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hawking may indeed be proved correct over the long term, but you do not have to look very far to find that humans find it easier to believe in things rather than work out logical conclusions.

And many of the worlds most despotic leaders came to power using that simple truth.
    Regards, Pat Gill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

many people are afraid of death and miss their dead loved ones. A story which "fixes" these two issues along with other uncertainties about their destiny will be believed.

Emotions in humanity don't change and a lot of people will continue to be superstitious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Science Will Win, God willing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    many people are afraid of death and miss their dead loved ones. A story which "fixes" these two issues along with other uncertainties about their destiny will be believed.

Emotions in humanity don't change and a lot of people will continue to be superstitious.
    Everything in the universe, including you and I, is fundamentally composed of energy and energy can be neither created or destroyed, simply changed into another form of energy.

It is therefore possible to propose an afterlife of sorts, serious scientists postulate that conciousness is composed of entangled energy fields and massless particles such as tachyons, which in theory travel faster than light, can explain such phenomena as precognition and the ability of twins to know what the other is thinking even whilst seperated by distance.

Maybe they are also the medium of prayer
    Regards, Pat Gill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fiannafailure View Post
    Everything in the universe, including you and I, is fundamentally composed of energy and energy can be neither created or destroyed, simply changed into another form of energy.
    so where were you and I a thousand years ago?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

, , can explain such phenomena as precognition and the ability of twins to know what the other is thinking even whilst seperated by distance.

twins do NOT know this. Really, you think if you separate 2 twins and show 1 a number that the otther will know what the number is?

Magic isn't real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is therefore possible to propose an afterlife of sorts, serious scientists postulate that conciousness is composed of entangled energy fields and massless particles such as tachyons, which in theory travel faster than light, can explain such phenomena as precognition and the ability of twins to know what the other is thinking even whilst seperated by distance.

I lost interest in physics when the lecturer started talking about particles whose only function seemed to be to fit gaps in the quantum theory which he was explaining. It also helped that I didn't have the brainpower to be really good at the subject. Unlike those who write Wikipedia articles, I know I'm not Einstein.
    What amazes me about Hawking is that someone who has based his whole life on creating a theory for which there is no proof, can be so certain that there cannot be a creator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    I lost interest in physics when the lecturer started talking about particles whose only function seemed to be to fit gaps in the quantum theory which he was explaining. It also helped that I didn't have the brainpower to be really good at the subject. Unlike those who write Wikipedia articles, I know I'm not Einstein.
    What amazes me about Hawking is that someone who has based his whole life on creating a theory for which there is no proof, can be so certain that there cannot be a creator.
    nobody can be certain that there is no creator. but I cannot be certain that there are not invisible leprechauns that play in my kitchen when I am asleep either. Isn't the burden of proof on those that believe there is something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    nobody can be certain that there is no creator. but I cannot be certain that there are not invisible leprechauns that play in my kitchen when I am asleep either. Isn't the burden of proof on those that believe there is something?
    I guess you're not Einstein either

Page 1 of 89 123451151 ... LastLast