Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 285

Thread: Display of Codeine based products to be banned in 2011.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Display of Codeine based products to be banned in 2011.

    Proposals to ban display of codeine - The Irish Times - Tue, Dec 22, 2009


    Products like Neurofen Plus, Solpadeine, and codeine based cough medicines will be banned from public display next year. These products will be stored out of sight in the dispensary, and the purchaser will be advised on the appropriateness of taking such products.

    This action is being taken because codeine is a controlled drug and can be addictive. However statistics state that in 2008, 84 people are registered as addicted to codeine out of the total adult population of Ireland.

    If these products are so harmful, and patients have to whisper their need to buy them to the pharmacist, who will then give a big lecture on the dangers associated with them.... well then these products should be the subject of a doctor's prescription IMV.

    I realise that codeine products can be addictive, but I'd suggest that the vast majority of people understand this and take the product for pain in short doses. Those who take more than the safe dose, or for long periods may have a problem, but hiding them in the dispensary is not going to stop that. They are legally available over the counter despite not being on view.

    However I think it will make people think again about buying them if it is easier to buy a box of paracetemol or aspirin.

    What do you think of this measure?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    P.ie Heavan
    Posts
    2,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Can't see it making any difference whatsoever. Silly legislation.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bandit Country
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Another dose of nanny-statism from idiot bureaucrats with nothing better to do. Seriously, at what point will people tell them to mind their own business?
    If once the people become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions.

    Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,306
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post

    However I think it will make people think again about buying them if it is easier to buy a box of paracetemol or aspirin.
    I don't think it will. People go into the pharmacy to by soplpadine theyre going to buy solpadine. It's no more difficult to day "I want a box of solpadine" than it is "I want a box of panadol".

    It's silly legislation and it's a waste of time and money. It's this kind of nonsense we could do without.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    I don't think it will. People go into the pharmacy to by soplpadine theyre going to buy solpadine. It's no more difficult to day "I want a box of solpadine" than it is "I want a box of panadol".

    It's silly legislation and it's a waste of time and money. It's this kind of nonsense we could do without.
    I agree with you. However, if you want buy a box of Solpadeine/Neurofen Plus etc. you MUST get a lecture from the pharmacist on the appropriate use, after asking for the product. That consultation in full view of other customers in the pharmacy might put potential purchasers off. Similar guidance and lectures willl not be given for the box of paracetemol, an overdose of which can kill you.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,306
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    I agree with you. However, if you want buy a box of Solpadeine/Neurofen Plus etc. you MUST get a lecture from the pharmacist on the appropriate use, after asking for the product. That consultation in full view of other customers in the pharmacy might put potential purchasers off. Similar guidance and lectures willl not be given for the box of paracetemol, an overdose of which can kill you.

    I'm assuming if you're one of the 84 unfortunate codine addicts a brief word from Mary in too much makrup isn't going to kill your buzz much. But me with my mild back pain will have to endure it for no good reason.

    Silly.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bandit Country
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It says on the back of the box how to use the pills- why get a lecture from some pharmacist?
    If once the people become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions.

    Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,306
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seenitallb4 View Post
    It says on the back of the box how to use the pills- why get a lecture from some pharmacist?
    It's not even a pharmacist, it's some young wan who sells eyeshadow most of the day telling you not to take too many. Silly.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  9. #9

    Default

    Just ban everything and be done with it.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seenitallb4 View Post
    It says on the back of the box how to use the pills- why get a lecture from some pharmacist?
    Addiction to codeine based drugs is becoming widespread. Many people do not read packaging and assume that because it's sold without prescription they don't need to.
    Try buying them over the counter in France, or many other EU countries.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •