Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to ban expenses for Politicians?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry Is it time to ban expenses for Politicians?

Healy-Rae bullish over expenses - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Healy-Rae bullish over expenses
    TD is reimbursed for train trips at 72 a time -- when he's entitled to free JACKIE Healy-Rae has admitted that up until recently he has been driving to the Dail from his south Kerry constituency in the company of another Oireachtas member -- but he cannot say if they both claimed mileage expenses for their journey.

The 69-year-old politician -- who regularly travels to the capital by train for Dail sittings, claiming 72 for his ticket on each occasion, despite being entitled to free travel by virtue of his age -- similarly refused to identify the politician with whom he had been car pooling.

Mr Healy-Rae said: "A very short while ago, I never travelled by train. I drove all the time and there was a fellah, which I'm not prepared to name, we used drive half the way, each of us."

Asked if both of them had claimed mileage for the trips they took together in the same car, he responded mischievously, saying: "Oh, I couldn't tell you what we were doing. I don't know."

Turning to ongoing expenses he racks up through his 72 trips to Dublin by train, the Kerry TD, who was first elected to the Dail in 1997, explained his need for them on the basis that he had never had the benefit of free travel in his life.

"I've never had free travel in all my life. I never got free travel and I paid for my ticket, a dear ticket.

"I don't book for 10 like a lot of other fellows do. I buy my ticket at 72 a ticket. Are you satisfied with that?"

Asked if he might at least consider the purchase of a 10 train ticket, as opposed to the more expensive option of 72, so saving the taxpayer 62 in the process, he responded by asking what concern his travel arrangements were to the Sunday Independent.

A defiant Mr Healy-Rae added that he was under no obligation to secure his free travel pass, saying: "No, I'm under no obligation to do any of that kind of stuff.

"I know my own business and I won't be declaring it to you or anybody else.

"And when I feel like driving, I can go and get into the car and take the road from Kilgarvan and on to Rathmore, then on to Mallow and Mitchelstown and straight up to Abbeyleix and into Dublin."

Asked if he was also claiming mileage, he said: "I'm not prepared to answer that question. I had my car the week before last and I parked it up in the Dail. They open the gates for me and I go in fine."

Clearly annoyed at being questioned on the matter of his expenses claims, Deputy Healy-Rae ended the conversation, saying: "Do you think that I'm really going to answer these questions to you?

"Why don't you go after Ivor Callely and the Dublin fellahs? Look, I have something else to do.

"In actual fact, I'm very busy. That's all I'm going to say to you -- and good luck.

FFS i GIVE UP

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richie268 View Post

"Why don't you go after Ivor Callely and the Dublin fellahs?
    Isn't Ivor Callely from Kilcrohane in Cork?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManfredJudge View Post
    Isn't Ivor Callely from Kilcrohane in Cork?
    Clontarf I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although it would be nice to water board both individuals mentioned above and draw something from the pair that resembles truth!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes it is time to end all expenses except for vouched travel expenses for those who live too far from the dail to travel to Dublin on a daily basis.

The parties receive funding - over 13 mill in 2009 and at the end of 2009 most were carrying fwd money they hadn't spent (see SIPO website). the parties could provide their elected members with an allowance from their finding for local literature and a website.

TDs /senators are provided with offices, secretaries, all facilities - what do they need expenses for?

They 'need' expenses to work on getting re-elected - but that should be their cost not the taxpayers.

That they get taxfree 'turning up' money officially for travel is a scandal. it is salary under another name but unlike salary it is not taxed.

Give them a Per Diem for every day that they are in Leinster House. One rate for people who are elected for a Dublin constituency, one for those elected outside Dublin and get rid of the glorified talking shop that is the Seanad.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Expenses should be banned. Lower their salary by 50% also. Introduce real punishments for those found to be abusing the system and then we will be fine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Give them a Per Diem for every day that they are in Leinster House. One rate for people who are elected for a Dublin constituency, one for those elected outside Dublin and get rid of the glorified talking shop that is the Seanad.
    Why give Dublin members anything?

'Ordinary' workers pay their own travel costs to work and lunch money out of normally MUCH lower salaries than those enjoyed by our politicians.

Vouched travel expenses (public transport if available) for non Dublin members and an obligation to claim your OAP travel pass.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Why only two rates? Does it cost the same for a Kildare TD to get to Dublin as a Kerry one?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Solution View Post
    Expenses should be banned. Lower their salary by 50% also.
    All that will lead to is politics becoming dominated by the very rich, who can afford to subsidise themselves, and those prepared to accept corrupt donations. Do we want that?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast