Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Senator : I cheat on my expenses" - FF Senator Labhras O'Murchu

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "Senator : I cheat on my expenses" - FF Senator Labhras O'Murchu

Front page of today's Daily Mail....

A Senator has admitted pocketing the "subtantial" difference between his overnight expenses and the cheap B&B he uses.
    Fianna Fail Senator Labhras O'Murchu has told the Irish Daily Mail that he gets charged €50 a night to stay in Dublin, and claims €125 in expenses for each night he is in the city attending the Oireachtas.

O'Murchu, who's been a Senator for 13 years, is also Director-General of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, it's in accomodation provided for by this organisation in Monkstown that he avails of at €50 a night. He told the Mail he pays the same as anyone else for the accommodation.

The Daily Mail says it believes that the Tipperary-based politician could be collecting more than €7500 tax free each year as a result of the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail
    For staying at the centre 99 times a year, Mr O'Murchu would have paid out €4950 for accommodation whilst receiving €12,474 tax free.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The case for closure of the senate is being made more strongly every day , by the senate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This particular fiddle is the same across the entire PS

Fixed rate overnight expenses are silly, you should just submit your receipts

Also... he has of course admitted a tax breach here

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member TheMushyStuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That maths is simple: €7,500 * 13 = €97,500
    or if you want to look at the other way: €12,474 * 13 = €162,162.

Either way we want the money back, every single cent!
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is milking the system but then the system is so constructed that this is possible without breaking the rules----there needs to be a fundamental reform of the system so that only expenses incurred can be paid and these expenses should be capped at a reasonable level.The sooner this useless establishment is abolished the better.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default same old same old

This is not surprising. This is the core issue with unvouched/allowance type expenses. The amount provided doesn't always match the amount of the expense.

Why don't the houses of the oireachtas put out a tender for hotels in the main Dublin city area to supply hotel rooms for TDs/senators etc for a fixed price. TDs and senators could then have a choice of a set number of hotels and everytime they stay in them the oireachtas could pay the set amount. I am sure they could get a very low set rate given how hotels are currently in need of business.

This way they would remove the need to refund/pay oireachtas members. It would also allow an end to the situation where expenses are used by some TDs and senators to cover mortgages or the renting of apartments etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Who decided on the system

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ger Nalist View Post
    This is not surprising. This is the core issue with unvouched/allowance type expenses. The amount provided doesn't always match the amount of the expense.

Why don't the houses of the oireachtas put out a tender for hotels in the main Dublin city area to supply hotel rooms for TDs/senators etc for a fixed price. TDs and senators could then have a choice of a set number of hotels and everytime they stay in them the oireachtas could pay the set amount. I am sure they could get a very low set rate given how hotels are currently in need of business.

This way they would remove the need to refund/pay oireachtas members. It would also allow an end to the situation where expenses are used by some TDs and senators to cover mortgages or the renting of apartments etc
    In the Senate, working for FAS, it is all the same.

Maximise the amount you make at the expense of the exchequer.

Too late now. They killed the golden goose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this system is wrong, but the public have to accept that they thought this sort of indulgence was fine and dandy when election came around over the last few decades and they continued to elect people who had designed and used it.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We get what we deserve. Any muppets that voted Bertie Ahern and are paying the price now should look at their own conscience first. The Drumcondra Mafia were running this country for 12 years

If you are struggling and vote Fianna Fail, keep voting Fianna Fail as things will no doubt improve in 10 years perhaps

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast