Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109

Thread: Constantin Gurdgiev calls for 20% flat rate tax

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Constantin Gurdgiev calls for 20% flat rate tax

    RTÉ Business: Economist urges 20% flat tax rate

    Food for thought.

    I wouldnt' go that far though, everybody should pay at least 10% of their income and then those with more should pay a maximum of 33%. I paid 40% of my income last year and I'm not rich.

    Interesting to see an anti NAMA, anti this government economist calling for tax cuts for people on good wages.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Fairly standard stuff from Gurdgiev.

    Calling for a 20% flat rate is a legitimate ideological stance (though not one I would share). But if he's going to be fully honest, he should outline the public services that he would cut to finance his tax cuts for the wealthy

  3. #3

    Default

    Great idea. 1 simple tax for all income and earnings. 1 for consumption and 1 for output.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Fairly standard stuff from Gurdgiev.

    Calling for a 20% flat rate is a legitimate ideological stance (though not one I would share). But if he's going to be fully honest, he should outline the public services that he would cut to finance his tax cuts for the wealthy
    He said that property would be taxed, also I assume the argument is that this cut helps build the economy which increases Reveneu so no drop in tax revenue, a bit like when CGT was cut from 40% to 20%, the tax take increased. I don't know whether the tax take would increase (I actually doubt it) but that is the argument.

    Anyway, to tell somebody to hand over half of all they earn over about 36k is nuts. Hardly wealthy.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    He warned that competition for foreign investment would heat up in future, and Ireland best prospects lay in expanding the knowledge economy. He said the knowledge economy was 'human capital intensive', but there were no incentives to invest in this.
    There's some , non ideological, argument for offering low tax rate for entrepeneurs / creatives / highly skilled workers to come here. Though such would have to be structured carefully so as not to effect existing such jobs here

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member bormotello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    12,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    Interesting to see an anti NAMA, anti this government economist calling for tax cuts for people on good wages.
    And pro-government left wing PS unions are calling to tax poor….
    His idea is to create very simple system without any tax breaks and very stable base.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    10% on first 20k, 20% in total on next 10k and 30% in total on balance would seem fair.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bormotello View Post
    And pro-government left wing PS unions are calling to tax poor….
    His idea is to create very simple system without any tax breaks and very stable base.
    Getting rid of all the tax breaks would be good too.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member LDF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Flat taxes are generally thought appropriate for poor countries trying to build their economies. So, after 13 years of FF in power I would agree with Gurdgiev's idea.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is essentially what Estonia has.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •