Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Loughgall - 20 years on

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Loughgall - 20 years on

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/18580

To mark this tragic event a commemorative website – www.loughgall20.com – has been constructed by the Loughgall20 Commemorative Committee which was formed in October last year in preparation for the 20th anniversary.
    Speaking this week to An Phoblacht, PRO for the Committee Ruairí Gildernew said the site was formed in response to the huge interest in the event shown by young people, not only from East Tyrone but throughout Ireland and beyond.
    “They want to know what happened that day and why and we’ve had a huge response to the site already from places like Scotland and the US. People are even contacting us to enquire about accommodation here because they want to come and see the place where it happened for themselves”, he said.
    http://www.loughgall20.com/

R.I.P

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesnt seem to mention the irony that 20 years on from that day the provos are sitting in stormont having accepted british law,government,police and the fact that most if not all of the men killed that day were in the process of opposing the provos before they died.

Most republicans from the area will adhere from giving anyone political points on the backs of there deaths and remember them in there own way.
    To be honest id be happier if they were alive today than being disgraced by the actions of cowards and colloborators.
    "still , got to give it to the people of monaghan, they dont take any **** "--constitutionus

http://monaghan32csm.blogs.ie

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heroes my arse, the only people I feel sorry for here are the relatives of the two innocent civilians. What simply happened was a Provo murder squad was intercepted on a mission, thought now to have been because of an informer.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    Doesnt seem to mention the irony that 20 years on from that day the provos are sitting in stormont having accepted british law,government,police and the fact that most if not all of the men killed that day were in the process of opposing the provos before they died.

Most republicans from the area will adhere from giving anyone political points on the backs of there deaths and remember them in there own way.
    To be honest id be happier if they were alive today than being disgraced by the actions of cowards and colloborators.

was there a possibility they were ''turned in'' by the Provo leadership, because they were in the process of opposing them. I seem to remember reading somewhere, the East Tyrone Brigade were planning on setting up a ''Flying Column'' and the Provo leadership were against this.
    Ní uasal aon uasal ach sinne bheith íseal: Éirímis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doylers

was there a possibility they were ''turned in'' by the Provo leadership, because they were in the process of opposing them. I seem to remember reading somewhere, the East Tyrone Brigade were planning on setting up a ''Flying Column'' and the Provo leadership were against this.
    That's Ed Moloney's thesis from his "Secret History."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny

yeah, thanks, I remember now thats where I read it.
    Ní uasal aon uasal ach sinne bheith íseal: Éirímis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny

yeah, thanks, I remember now thats where I read it.
    He makes various hazy observations about the events within the Movement prior to Loughall. He doesn't directly accuse anyone but the reader could be forgiven for thinking that the SF leadership were behind the interception of the ambush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the volunteers were contemplating breaking away then it has to be said that the leadership certainly had something to gain by having the unit wiped out.
    However, I find it a bit difficult to accept that, since there are a number of other reasons why the operation failed.
    Mehhh

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ive read a theory that the informer was Tony Gormally. Anyone any thoughts?
    The SF leadership may have opposed the creation of a flying column- but tha would be for the good reason that it would have been insanity.
    British technology has moved on since 1921. One satellite image, and one attack helicopter, and thats the end of the column.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Noble men - noble cause - noble memory
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast