Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Myres-English are hated everywhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Kevin Myres-English are hated everywhere

Reading Kevin Myres article today in the Indo.

Kevin Myers: It's odd, yet it's true: universally, the English are just about everyone's official non-friend - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Not sure if poor Kev is having us on or genuinely bemused to discover that the English are generally disliked around the world.

He sort of reminds me of an American Fox News anchor who can't understand why they don't like America in Latin America after all America has done for its 'freedom'.

Anyway my theories why nobody doesn't like the English are as follows.

The 19th century opium's wars with China and the economic carve up leaving a weak China unable to fight Japanese Agression and subsequent communist takeover.

The carve up of Africa leaving Africa in a mess today.

The colonisation of India and its bitter legacy in the creation of Pakistan.

The carve up and division of the Middle East with France after promising the Arabs freedom.

The whole scale indiscriminate bombing of German cities during the war resulting in over 500,000 dead.

The blockade of Germany for almost one year after the end of war resulting in 100,000 deaths due to starvation.

The invention of the concentration camp South Africa during the Boer War resulting in the deaths of Boer women and children.

The use of gas against Kurdish civilians in Iraq after the Great War,

The deaths in concentration camps of over 100,000 Mau Mau civilians in Kenya in the 1950's during the Mau Mau insurrection.

The colonization of Palestine, Cyrpus, Ireland, India, and their subsequent partitions.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think he's exaggerating. But it is true that during last year's referendum, the pro-Lisbon parties used Ganley's English-accent to try to smear him as a Brit, despite his Irish blood and citizenship. That it succeeded suggests there remains a signficant section of the people that resent Britain, despite the GFA. Personally, I don't think the entire "yes" vote constitutes this group, but it certainly was a factor because when UKIP came to Ireland, it allowed them to present it as "outside interference", while ironically doing so in the name of transferring Irish sovereignty to Brussels, which will mean far greater outside interference in Irish affairs, as the tax-controversy belatedly recognised by FG and warned of by the "No" side has demonstrated.

On the global scale, I think it's because, when you conquer more countries than anybody else, you inevitably will leave a lot of suspicion and resentment in your wake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't stack up.

They're probably the most hated because they were the most successful empire-wise.

Were they as bad as the spanish in south america, the belgians in the congo, the japanese in china, the russians in eastern europe etc ?

Blaming them for bombing germany during ww2, pakistan, africa in general is a bit rich.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    Reading Kevin Myres article today in the Indo.

Kevin Myers: It's odd, yet it's true: universally, the English are just about everyone's official non-friend - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Not sure if poor Kev is having us on or genuinely bemused to discover that the English are generally disliked around the world.

He sort of reminds me of an American Fox News anchor why they don't like America in Latin America after all America has done for its 'freedom'.

Anyway my theories why nobody doesn't like the English are as follows.

The 19th century opium's wars with China and the economic carve up leaving a weak China unable to fight Japanese Agression and subsequent communist takeover.

The carve up of Africa leaving Africa in a mess today.

The colonisation of India and its bitter legacy in the creation of Pakistan.

The carve up and division of the Middle East with France after promising the Arabs freedom.

The whole scale indiscriminate bombing of German cities during the war resulting in over 500,000 dead.

The blockade of Germany for almost one year after the end of war resulting in 100,000 deaths due to starvation.

The invention of the concentration camp South Africa during the Boer War resulting in the deaths of Boer women and children.

The use of gas against Kurdish civilians in Iraq after the Great War,

The deaths in concentration camps of over 100,000 to 1,000,000 Mau Mau civilians in Kenya in the 1950's during the Mau Mau insurrection.

The colonization of Palestine, Cyrpus, Ireland, India, and their subsequent partitions.
    Let's nail one of those straightaway.

"An article in the Journal of Modern History by R.M. Douglas of Colgate University published in December 2009 went through the known sources and concluded that "while at various moments tear gas munitions were available in Mesopotamia, circumstances seeming to call for their use existed, and official sanction to employ them had been received, at no time during the period of the mandate did all three of these conditions apply" and that it was clear that no poison gas was used. Douglas observed that Churchill's forceful statement had served to convince observers of the existence of weapons of mass destruction which were not actually there, which ironically matched events in 2003.[8]"

Alleged British use of gas in Mesopotamia in 1920 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could change it to "Sanction for use of gas ... " etc.

The British Empire was a pretty foul, racist stinkhole but there have been worse. My experience (and I have travelled a fair bit) is the British are less disliked than Kevin thinks. Nor would I shed tears over German civilian casualties ... & I think the allegation about deaths from starvation after the war is dubious, and if true, probably not the fault of the British alone.

Most of the above single out the British for what were generally European or Western practices ... if the British are unpopular, then Europeans should be also for the same reasons.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If it walks like a killer duck

If it talks like a killer duck

Its probably an English duck. (Only kidding I love you all really, now where is me old duck rifle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Let's nail one of those straightaway.

"An article in the Journal of Modern History by R.M. Douglas of Colgate University published in December 2009 went through the known sources and concluded that "while at various moments tear gas munitions were available in Mesopotamia, circumstances seeming to call for their use existed, and official sanction to employ them had been received, at no time during the period of the mandate did all three of these conditions apply" and that it was clear that no poison gas was used. Douglas observed that Churchill's forceful statement had served to convince observers of the existence of weapons of mass destruction which were not actually there, which ironically matched events in 2003.[8]"

Alleged British use of gas in Mesopotamia in 1920 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could change it to "Sanction for use of gas ... " etc.

The British Empire was a pretty foul, racist stinkhole but there have been worse. My experience (and I have travelled a fair bit) is the British are less disliked than Kevin thinks. Nor would I shed tears over German civilian casualties ... & I think the allegation about deaths from starvation after the war is dubious, and if true, probably not the fault of the British alone.

Most of the above single out the British for what were generally European or Western practices ... if the British are unpopular, then Europeans should be also for the same reasons.
    The naval blocade was maintained after the 1918 armistice even thought the German Navy had surrendered all their ships.

The British are hated more than the rest because it still has current affects.

Indian-Pakistan, Cyprus divided, Aganistan, Iraq, Israel Palestine, Northern Ireland, South Africa, Uganda, Kenya, Somailia. Yemen, etc etc
    The British even created Belguim which is falling apart, with Flemmish and French speakers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard Myers interviewed about this article on Newstalk at lunch time. He asserted that there was "no" anti-Irishness in England. His basis for making this assertion? Well, as a young lad growing up in a middle-class Irish family in Leicester in the 50s he had not experienced any anti-Irishness. Is this not an amazingly stupid observation from a man who loves to flaunt his intelligence?

I lived in England for many years and it was my experience that anti-Irish bigotry is widespread over there. I'm not saying that all English people carry an anti-Irish prejudice, but a hell of a lot of them do!

And I hope they get stuffed in the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post
    Doesn't stack up.

They're probably the most hated because they were the most successful empire-wise.

Were they as bad as the spanish in south america, the belgians in the congo, the japanese in china, the russians in eastern europe etc ?

Blaming them for bombing germany during ww2, pakistan, africa in general is a bit rich.

Yes, they even ethnic cleaned the Aborigines in Austrailia and Mauri in New Zeland. A poisned legacy where ever they went.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they are rapidly being overtaken by Israel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Wept View Post
    I heard Myers interviewed about this article on Newstalk at lunch time. He asserted that there was "no" anti-Irishness in England. His basis for making this assertion? Well, as a young lad growing up in a middle-class Irish family in Leicester in the 50s he had not experienced any anti-Irishness. Is this not an amazingly stupid observation from a man who loves to flaunt his intelligence?

I lived in England for many years and it was my experience that anti-Irish bigotry is widespread over there. I'm not saying that all English people carry an anti-Irish prejudice, but a hell of a lot of them do!

And I hope they get stuffed in the World Cup.
    I remember my father tell me when he sat his driving test in 1960's London, the tester a former Major in the former colonial police, asked him before he started the test was he Irish. When he said yes, he simply said 'well i wont be needing this then' put down his clipboard and simply failed him.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast