Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German president resigns after letting true German agenda slip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default German president resigns after letting true German agenda slip

Yup...Horst Köhler mentioned that the intervention of German military abroad was beneficial to German economic interests. IOW, naked colonisation is just fine, no matter how brutal. He now calls the comments "misplaced"...but he didn't retract them upon resignation. He also regards any criticism, no matter how valid, disrespect for the office of Bundespräsident...like he was above the law or something.

EurActiv
    German president resigns over ‘misplaced’ comment

Published: 01 June 2010

German President Horst Köhler unexpectedly resigned on 31 May due to a storm over comments he made about military action abroad, in a move that could give conservative Chancellor Angela Merkel a headache. ...

Köhler, in office since 2004, said in a radio interview just over a week ago that foreign military action by the German army also served economic interests.

A country like Germany with a heavy reliance on foreign trade, Köhler said, must know that "in emergencies military intervention is necessary to uphold our interests, like for example free-trade routes, for example to prevent regional instabilities which could have a negative impact on our chances in terms of trade, jobs and income".

Köhler said he was unhappy about the reaction to it.

"The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified," he said. "It shows a lack a respect for my office."

The row and his resignation underscores the sensitivity of military issues in Germany even 65 years after the end of World War Two and Nazi rule. ...
    "Laws were most numerous when the state was most corrupt." —Tacitus

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    Yup...Horst Köhler mentioned that the intervention of German military abroad was beneficial to German economic interests. IOW, naked colonisation is just fine, no matter how brutal.
    I can't find where he said that.

He also regards any criticism, no matter how valid, disrespect for the office of Bundespräsident
    Or that.

...like he was above the law or something.
    Then why did he resign?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't find where he said that.
    "(I)n emergencies military intervention is necessary to uphold our interests, like for example free-trade routes, for example to prevent regional instabilities which could have a negative impact on our chances in terms of trade, jobs and income" ...

Again you forget how this is still a taboo in Germany. Nobody does this in non-"emergency" situations too. Germany was not supposed to do anything of the sort at any time since 1945.
    Or that.
    "The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified ... It shows a lack a respect for my office."

Kinda redundant thing to say. Yet he didn't stand up to it, so something else is behind that
    So why did he resign?
    The horse's mouth is the one to ask. Internal pressure is one possibility. Saying things like that in public is not yet politically expedient, apparently.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"(I)n emergencies military intervention is necessary to uphold our interests, like for example free-trade routes, for example to prevent regional instabilities which could have a negative impact on our chances in terms of trade, jobs and income" ...
    Where does it say "no matter how brutal" there? That's what you claimed.

"The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified ... It shows a lack a respect for my office."

You claim he'd said that any criticism was disrespect for his office. He didn't say that either.

Kinda redundant thing to say. Yet he didn't stand up to it, so something else is behind thatThe horse's mouth is the one to ask. Internal pressure is one possibility. Saying things like that in public is not yet politically expedient, apparently.
    Or, equally apparently, everyone disagreed with him, and thus he resigned.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Again you forget how this is still a taboo in Germany. Nobody does this in non-"emergency" situations too. Germany was not supposed to do anything of the sort at any time since 1945."The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified ... It shows a lack a respect for my office."

Kinda redundant thing to say. Yet he didn't stand up to it, so something else is behind thatThe horse's mouth is the one to ask. Internal pressure is one possibility. Saying things like that in public is not yet politically expedient, apparently.
    With regard "regional", I don't see abroad, I see "police state" perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My God a country uses its military to pursue it interests
    What next petrol companies complain about electric cars
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was so disappointed , some years ago, when the Bundesrepublic changed it's constitution so that it's military could serve abroad; at the time, for the plausible purpose of 'intervening' in the Yugoslav civil war and aftermath.
    Disappointed that this major unwinding of the post WWII settlement could be done with so little soul-searching or public disquiet. ( Is a committment to self-defence at home and neutrality abroad really that unstable?)

Of course the President let Germany's true agenda out of the bag. Economic self-interest , and possibly other perceptions of self interest (cf Britain's
    efforts to preserve the 'special relationship') are now part of the considerations in German deployments abroad.
    And Germany is just another country whose exhortations to us to help them save the starving, bring law and order, foster development, educate girls, deprive terrorists of cement, depose dictators...are tainted with the possibility of self-interest.

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sooner we start thinking in terms of European interests and less German, French, British .......... the better. Europe collectively has a very good diplomatic service but alas it currently often works against itself.

Of course one of the roles of an army is to protect your interests, the debate is what are those interests and how exactly to protect them. You can't expect Germany to forever live in the shadow of WW1 and WW2.

On the diplomatic front it is interesting to consider the different spheres of interest of the French, Germans and British and to a lesser extent Spain and the other EU countries. It is quite impressive. Europe does diplomacy better than most others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcLhk-RXXcQ]YouTube - Dylan Moran about Germans[/ame]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down YouTube Godwinism...

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Dylan Moran about Germans
    Pretty lame routine that. I was wondering when he'd start bashing on about Hitler. Didn't have to wait long. But maybe Hitler is an unavoidable part of his (and his audience's) subconscious (part of what they are!!!!). Which makes the whole lame routine not a little hypocritical.

Frankly, boring. Not to mention unrelated to the OP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast