Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Political Coverage

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default RTE Political Coverage

Am I the only person in Ireland who feels that the coverage of Southern Irish politics is extremely biased in favour of Fianna Fail and the PD's?

What makes me think this is I have yet to observe or hear a government spokesperson/minister being asked a hard question on RTE; or being pressed for an answer to the question asked rather than making a speech which is what they seem to be able to get away with now.

Also there is never a murmur when a government minister is "not available" whenever there is an opportunity for debate. Just listen to taoiseach Ahern who always seems to be reciting a rehearsed answer to pre interview submitted questions.

I would single out the following for pro government bias: All news presenters, all morning Ireland presenters. Also Sean O'Rourke, Mary Wilson, Miriam O'callaghan (her brother is a failed FF candidate in Dublin) Geraldine Harney (sister of Mary) and regular commentator Noel Whelan (another failed FF candidate!)

They seem to fawn over a government member and denigrate anyone who opposes FF/PD policy.

FF must be thrilled that they have all their people in place to help spin their message for the election.

Some bloody democracy. You will never see RTE refer to an independent think tank such as TASC (http://www.tascnet.ie) because their work highlights the governments lack of direction.

Also, when the government altered the Freedom of Information office and scope a few years ago there wasn't a murmur from RTE which was surprising as they are supposed to be the Public Service Broadcaster.

Thank heavens for Matt Coopers objectivity!
    Social Libertarian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just one of the many biases, I'm afraid. The licence fee needs to be abolished.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You certainly do have a point. I have begun to notice this over the past year or so and thought it was just me (I'm not a government supporter). Whatever about the political background of individual people (in fairness to RTE, anyone who is interested in politics comes with some kind of personal agenda/political background) their failure to ask tough questions and to give Ministers a hard time is getting increasinly frustrating for listeners. I find myself shouting questions at the radio sometimes and wonder why what seems obvious to me to challenge politicians on, the presenters just seem to move on. Since David Hanly left Morning Ireland, it's just not the same in terms of listeners being guaranteed that anyone going on there would get a hard grilling. Aine Lawlor is about the only one willing to really challenge people

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RR,

Your reply has really reassured me as I was wondering was it just people in my immediate circle who had the same opinion as me vis RTE?

RTE really do let ministers woffle on without interruption. Imagine an unbiased Paxmanesque interviewer on RTE.

What really drove me mad was when Dobbo gave Ahern his showpiece when there were (and still are) so many obvious questions. eg. Was Ahern hiding his money so he would get away with paying less financial support to his ex wife?

I would love to see RTE acting to their public service remit and seeking answers to questions that the ordinary Joe would like to hear. The pro FF bias is shameful.

M
    Social Libertarian

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with you both Minister and RobinsReturn and am glad to see I am not the only who gets fustrated at RTE's lack of independence and balance.
    Ich mag Steine!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owenfeehan
    I agree with you both Minister and RobinsReturn and am glad to see I am not the only who gets fustrated at RTE's lack of independence and balance.
    Thanks OwenFeehan,
    But why won't anyone challenge them on air. I am sure if others from the opposition side of the house made a concerted effort to remind RTE of their Public Service ethos they 1) would not have to fear not being let back on air again and 2) RTE wouldn't be long about changing their tune as the general viewer/listener would start to sit up and take notice if the message was being regularly repeated.

After all we pay our licence fee to the national broadcasting service and not to RTFF (Radio Telefis Fianna Fail) with its minority channell PD (Progressing Disaster)!
    Social Libertarian

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Things were much better when the stickies were running the show at Montrose.
    There was pleasure in paradise, but no excitement - Milan Kundera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's the parapet - here's my head..........

RTE is PD country with a strong hint of Fine Gael - it has never ever been kind to Fianna Fáil, either that or we have been watching parallel universe versions of Q&A and Prime Time going all the way back to Today Tonight and Brian Farrell.

The print media are so far away from being pro-FF it is beyond belief. The only thing they are more anti than FF is Sinn Féin - have we spotted the trend yet??????

The O'Reilly Rag is a west-Brit paper, pure and simple - it can't apologise enough for having to print "The Irish ***" for a title every day. CCOB, RDE etc etc. Then you have FO'T and Kevin Myers, the proponents of national self-loathing par excellence. The Irish Times has joined the O'Reill Rag editorially of late which is to be lamented.

The Irish Examiner "the paper which doesn't tell you how to vote" as long as you vote FG in a Model T Ford "as long as it's black" routine. Then you have the red-tops, anything that calls itself " The Oirish" where the Irish part is our tv listings and some GAA coverage - in fairness you have to hand to them, the number of people who read their shite every day. No wonder we have "The Bill", Emmerdale, Eastenders on more often than they do across the water.

In short I cannot think of one paper since the Irish Press or Sunday Press that has been pro-Fianna Fáil.

As to the argument that the O'Reilly Rag has been consistently anti-opposition in the last while attacking Rabbitte and Kenny - I would contend they have in reality being doing the opposition's work by highlighting the government's weaknesses on their behalf - doing so by implying that Rabbitte and Kenny have failed to do it themselves.

Anyway, open season on me. It's clear I am in the minority on this one from the thread so far.
    Those who think they know it all upset those of us that do.........

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're an absoute idiot. I had to stop reading the Indo because of it's blatant pro-FF stance. It's only since the stamp duty debacle that it's changed it's spots.

It's nothing short of scurrilous when it comes to FG. It's very much anti-SF too.

For christ sake what other paper gives a free weekly political broadcast from a PD. I've yet to see O' Dea do anything but FG bash. FFS cop on to yourself.
    But, are you happy? Support 'Mozalini's Law'

http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?p=1005586#1005586

WestOfCentre

Could someone please point out an episode of of Primetime investiagtes over the last few months that was in anyway Pro-government ?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast