Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Details of Vatican/Apostolic Visitation to Ireland Announced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Details of Vatican/Apostolic Visitation to Ireland Announced

Link hereunder.

The visitors have been appointed to the four Irish Archdiocese's and consist of clerics with Irish ancestry. Cardinals Murphy O'Brien (Emeritus Westminster) Sean Patrick O’Malley, (Archbishop of Boston) and Archbishops Collins (Toronto) and Prendergast (Ottawa). Additionally, Dolan (New York) has been appointed apostolic visitor to Maynooth, and others to the religious in the Orders.

Whispers in the Loggia
    Last edited by corelli; 31st May 2010 at 06:37 PM.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Our Lady bringing some of her Apostle buddies on her next appearance in Knock!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consultant View Post
    When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Our Lady bringing some of her Apostle buddies on her next appearance in Knock!!
    Mmmmmm LOL thats quite possible to understand from the OP I suppose. Changed a little to make clearer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ireland's four senior Catholic churchmen have been summoned to Rome next week to prepare for a special Vatican investigation into the state of the scandal-ridden Irish church. The unprecedented probe was ordered by Pope Benedict last March in response to the shocking Murphy Report into top level cover-ups of paedophile clerics.Cardinal Sean Brady will be joined by Archbishops Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, Dermot Clifford of Cashel and Emly and Michael Neary of Tuam for high-level talks with heads of Vatican congregations. The Rome meeting will plan the terms of reference of the visitation by the cardinals and archbishops who will be accompanied by a number of priests and religious sisters who are also to probe religious orders.

Source

A statement issued last night by the Catholic Communications Office in Maynooth said the purpose of the visitation will be to offer assistance and contribute to the spiritual and moral renewal of the church in Ireland.
    "It will facilitate reflection, evaluation and renewal of church life,"
    So is this an 'investigation' into a criminal conspiracy by bishops/archbishops and an ex-archbishop now a cardinal or just some visitors coming to say a few prayers? What investigative skills do the members of the Apostolic Visitation group have?
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Vatican has said it will be up to a year before a full report will be published on the Catholic Church in Ireland and the sex abuse scandal. Pope Benedict XVI ordered the investigation in March 2010 following the exposure of chronic clerical sex abuse and decades of cover-ups. But the Vatican's preliminary findings concluded only that follow-up investigations were necessary.

The Archbishop of Dublin, Diarmuid Martin, has criticised the Vatican's slow progress.

Diarmuid is no stranger to tardiness himself .. in May 2009 on publication of the Ryan Report - which ironically prompted the Apostolic Visitation - Diarmuid admitted that he had done nothing to intervene 40 years ago despite having more than an inkling of the abuses that were happening in Artane Industrial School
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

who cares ? irrelevant and nasty church. Tell you what, donate all your wealth to the poor/abused and we will begin to show you any respect at all.
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shouldn't the Irish bishops be asking the Vatican the same questions? After all they were told to shut their mouths over abuse. The orders came from the Vatican, and our princes obeyed their orders.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure they will be all very concerned about "scandal", not actually firing those involved in the cover up and facilitation of child abuse.

It's like on father ted, they will probably try to fix it with several special masses!

pointless pr exercise unless they start defrocking and firing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There MUST have been some kind of political block on the civil authorities pursuing those who covered up the abuses and facilitated the abusers. Two devastating reports - one identifies 800 individual abusers and the other report identifies bishops, archbishops and a cardinal involved in what surely was a criminal conspiracy to protect and shield abusing clergy. No Religious Orders have had their assets seized - no Indemuty Deal can allow the turning of a blind eye to criminality that includes the starvation of children, the enslavement of children, the rape and buggery of children. No Indemnity Deal can forbid a proper legal investigation into child abuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast